Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,583 Posts
Yes, I saw that too. While there are some things I like about it, there are others that I just hate. My two, primary criticisms:

- Why do they need to destroy a scarce vintage car when so little of it ends up in the final product? The write-up says "10% of the chassis". If Alfaholics can build a completely new GT unibody, why can't Totem? My guess is that it's some legal gimmick, allowing it to be registered as a 196X car, and allowing Totem to not be classified as a new vehicle manufacturer.

- I just hate the lights. Bertone got the original shape of the taillights exactly right for this application. Round lights just look stupid. Like something off-the-shelf at the local AutoZone. Similarly, the mis-aligned front lights make the car look cross-eyed. And preclude mounting a front bumper. Giugiaro these guys ain't.

·
Administrator
12,522 Posts
I'm with Alfajay. Like the idea, but make a new car ... this is as worse than making GTA replicas out of real cars.

Now will be pissed off for the rest of the day
Pete

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yes, if these guys are so talented, build a new car from scratch & don't destroy what's left of the classics.
But as you say Alfajay, they're most likely stepping around regulations by using an older base (then discarding it anyway!).....there was a series of open sportscars built over here in 80s/90s using only just about the firewall & chassis number & cross-member components to be able to call it a 1960s model Alfa Romeo for road compliance.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
They build high-dollar Land Rover Defenders all the time with a firewall bulkhead and a VIN. New everything - frame, axles, driveline, body panels, interior...and then pass it off as a "vintage" aged truck so it can be imported (to the US that is) under the 25 year rule. They've been mostly found out and a lot of them crushed by the Feds.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I saw that too. While there are some things I like about it, there are others that I just hate. My two, primary criticisms:

- Why do they need to destroy a scarce vintage car when so little of it ends up in the final product? The write-up says "10% of the chassis". If Alfaholics can build a completely new GT unibody, why can't Totem? My guess is that it's some legal gimmick, allowing it to be registered as a 196X car, and allowing Totem to not be classified as a new vehicle manufacturer.

- I just hate the lights. Bertone got the original shape of the taillights exactly right for this application. Round lights just look stupid. Like something off-the-shelf at the local AutoZone. Similarly, the mis-aligned front lights make the car look cross-eyed. And preclude mounting a front bumper. Giugiaro these guys ain't.

Not fond of the the lowering of the inside fog lamps either. But the tail lamps are not bad.

I wonder how intact the original chassis was? If it is like most of the older ones seen here, it was rotted tin and Swiss cheese anyway. I am sure there was extensive patching and rebuilding. I would like to see a documentary video on the build. The CF body and interior roll cage seem quite well executed.

I think what we Alfisti are missing as a whole is what a unexpected compliment this is to ALFA Romeo to choose a 105/115 chassis as basis for such a build. I remember when I bought mine new, many wonderedwhy I bought such a dull coupe when I could have had a Kamm-back Duetto similar to the boattail in the Graduate movie. It was not until I had the car out in the wild and people who did not know what it was complimented it.

·
Administrator
12,522 Posts
I think what we Alfisti are missing as a whole is what a unexpected compliment this is to ALFA Romeo to choose a 105/115 chassis as basis for such a build.
They didn't they just liked the looks. In regards to the chassis they have massively changed the suspension so there is NO 105/115 chassis as a basis, just the VIN number.

An utter crime. Compare this to the AlfaBB member who converted his Spider to electric motivation, no destruction of an original car at all. Wonderful job.
Pete

·
Super Moderator
10,583 Posts
I wonder how intact the original chassis was? If it is like most of the older ones seen here, it was rotted tin and Swiss cheese anyway. I am sure there was extensive patching and rebuilding.
Your comment suggests that Totem only plans to build one car. My sense is that this is the first of what they hope becomes series. Many Alfa GT's will get destroyed to allow to Totem to avoid crash testing, etc. Yes, they can do extensive patching and rebuilding, but by the time they do all that, why not just build a new, fresh chassis?

The CF body and interior roll cage seem quite well executed.
The CF body, yes. Some of the chassis welds have an ""agricultural" look. But maybe this is just the prototype and they'll replace their Harbor Freight welder once they get more funding.

·
Administrator
12,522 Posts
They are contactable: Contact - Totem Automobili

Please be polite ... I've left a message requesting they don't use these wonderful classic cars as donors
Pete

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I seriously doubt there are enough 105/115 chassis upon which to predicate any production run, even if they could be obtained brand new. Besides, there is this thing called crash standards. This chassis was never designed to deflect and absorb forces. Daimler Benz did not produce those 450SE cars until '73 or '74. I did have a friend that went headlight to headlight with a then current F150 at about 35 mph for both. The car did well but he did not wear his stationary shoulder belt so lost a few teeth on the steering wheel.

Rough welds and all, I bet this is a one off study.

·
Administrator
12,522 Posts
Low numbers is even more reason not to waste any on this thing. 1 is too many
Pete

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think going forward your going to see a lot of this type of thing, as more and more people convert to electric cars sales of petrol will drop making it more and more expensive, running old petrol cars will become an expensive rich man's hobby, at what cost would you say enough? With less sales lots of petrol stations will shut, how far would you be willing to drive to top up? First thing that happens with all supply and demand with less people able to afford them the price will drop so average cars will either be raced, left to rot or converted to electric
This will come it's just a matter of when, personally I have owned my coupe 27 years and would look to convert to electric if it was that or not drive it, all its down to now is how well they are converted, I don't see it's too far fetched to profile an electric motor to perform similar to the petrol engine it replaces although the noise will be sadly missed so for now I'm just going to enjoy it for as long as it lasts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm all for electric conversions and crazy restomods, but how much of it is a "resto" considering...

"The new chassis features a MacPherson front suspension while the rear end, which is where the electric motor resides, is supported by a multilink setup[...]"

Rear motor? Multilink suspension in the back, MacPherson front? New chassis? Not even sure if this is actually based on a 105/115 chassis at all, certainly won't drive like one. Most likely they just used the old body as a positive plug for the carbon body.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Fair point it just looks like a 105 which is no bad thing probably easier to make an original look like this than start from scratch with moulds and bucks, hopefully this would be the form to make moulds from and no more good bodies are wrecked

·
Super Moderator
10,583 Posts
I must say I love this angle: maybe they should just patent those front and rear fenders and forget about the rest of the project
I have to agree with you on this one. In general, I dislike add-on flares for an Alfa GT (unless it's a competition car). But I have to say that Totem handled this detail very tastefully. Clearly someone studied how Porsche evolved the shape of the 911 as tires became wider.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, if these guys are so talented, build a new car from scratch & don't destroy what's left of the classics.
But as you say Alfajay, they're most likely stepping around regulations by using an older base (then discarding it anyway!).....there was a series of open sportscars built over here in 80s/90s using only just about the firewall & chassis number & cross-member components to be able to call it a 1960s model Alfa Romeo for road compliance.
I don't know enough about cars, and "road compliance" but I suspect it has more to do with claiming rights to use the body design.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts