Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
what part?
10,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i will soon be driving my 84 spider and dont want to install a car stereo into it,, my idea,, install 4 /6 speakers, but run a walkman type cd player to listen to music on looong drives this way i can just plug the cd player into a installed jack to run the speakers, and just unplug it when i am done, any ideas here...i think its a cool idea
6387201_sd.jpg

·
Registered
what part?
10,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
earphones are not well liked by the chp, i would get in a lot of trouble while driving with them.... and have you ever come across a driver using them.. they have no idea what is around them,, fire engines, ambulances etc,

Reactions: PSk

·
Administrator
14,469 Posts
When I was young and poor, I used to put a portable tape deck player on the passenger seat, and listen to that

Pete

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,618 Posts
Just get a portable bluetooth speaker with a battery, plop it on the rear deck, and stream to it from your phone.

Reactions: PSk

·
Premium Member
6,302 Posts
here is what I am thinking. Based on Don P's work on his grandson's ? spider.
I'd like to find a stereo bluetooth receiver, and mount it probably under the dash. These are small boxes that can run on 12V and draw low power, so I would run it off a switched fuse (I think there' s a spare). It connects via bluetooth to my phone, which then becomes the audio source. I'd run the line-level output of this to a 12V powered amp mounted somewhere (I,m thinking trunk shelf) and then run wires from the amp to whereever I put the speakers. Thinking two behind the seats, and maybe two door speakers? Dont know yet. Again, I'd run the amp +12 off a switched circuit via a relay under the hood. Don had found an integrated bluetooth amp (JBL) for about 150 bucks, but now its NLA and the cheapest I can find is a Kenwood one about $250 bucks. I was hoping to do this for less ----

·
Registered
22 Posts
On my quest for originality on my 91 Spider I plan to replace the existing aftermarket head unit with an original one and then run the actual system off a bluetooth receiver/amp hidden somewhere. I have seen units on Amazon that purport to fit the bill, all controls are through bluetooth so you do not need a physical remote. One unit acts as bluetooth receiver and amp, no terrestrial radio or CD if course. Still searching for what looks like the right product.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I did this in my Stag with a hidden CALIBER CA75.2BT amplifier. They are only 2 channels, but that’s all you really need in a convertible. Everything is controlled through my phone.

The head unit is a 1970’s original dealership Unipart Radio that I found on EBay. It’s wired to light up and does nothing else.

In the Spider I fitted a period correct Grundig radio which has been modified to pickup FM and Bluetooth. This setup is inferior because it’s output is limited by the original unit.

The Caliber amplifier and original radio was cheaper than the modified Grundig. Also the sound quality is far superior.

Unfortunately, Caliber don’t make this amplifier anymore and I haven’t found an alternative yet. When I do I will add a hidden amplifier to the Spider.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I plan to do the same thing with my stock Alfa radio, use it just to fill the hole in the dash. If you search bluetooth amplifier car audio on Amazon there are a lot of choices such as this one, which is kind of large at 11 by 7 or so; really too big to hide in a spider. There are other more expensive and also smaller options. Some 4 and some 2 channel, etc. Crutchfield has a couple also. They are usually advertised as for marine use. Eventually I will have to give one a try.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Size is important. That’s why I can’t understand why they stopped making the CALIBER CA75.2BT. It was small and cheap and powerful enough for a convertible.

An upgraded original Grundig, Becker or Blaupunkt costs $$$.

I paid £60 for the Bluetooth amp and £10 for a boxed and unused 70’s Unipart Radio.

Like most cars of the 70’s, the Alfa and the Stag came without a radio when new. It was a Dealer fit option. Unipart had the contract with BL and obviously sold radios made under license. They must have been produced by Motorola because the Unipart radio I fitted in the Stag is identical to the dead Motorola I removed from the Spider when I fitted a more aesthetically pleasing and upgraded Grundig Weltklang.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts