Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone!

My name is Alex, I'm from Sweden and has recently moved to L.A. I'm an dedicated Alfisti, had an alfa 156 JTD 2005 which i regretably sold before I moved here. I really miss having an alfa, so i have decided to buy an alfa spider series 3. I never had one of these and in Sweden, these cars are just for summer drives so therefor my question is:

I want to use it as a daily driver here in California. Is that possible or will it cost me a fortune to keep it running? (Am a student right now.....)

Are the parts expensive?

Where should I service it?

Where can i find a good one with reasonable price?
Thanx!
Alex

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
Hello Alex, welcome to the BB and welcome to the USA (at least I think California is still with us...)

An S3 Spider can be a good daily driver. Rust and PM (preventitive maintanance) will be the biggest issues (rust is bad, PM is good). I'd suggest searching for the right car - don't let your enthusiasm & eagerness for an Alfa cause you to jump at the first one you find. Find one that has had a knowledgable owner and been driven fairly regularly (a 'low-mileage' car that has sat still too long can be more trouble than a car that gets regular 'exercise'). Note the link in my signature to a whole page about the L-jetronic system in the S3 Spiders.

Consider contacting a local Afla club. You'll find some friendly folks who'll be willing to help in your search and be able to offer an un-biased opinion of any car you find. Plus they'll probably have good leads on cars for sale.

Finally, make sure to post some pictures when you do find your dream car. We likes pictures!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Eric! I will look around for a club. The question is, is the rust a major issue even here in LA? Since we have alot of problem with rust in Sweden, I'm pretty good in searching the right places of a car for rust:)

I'll let You know how the hunt is going....
Alex

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Alex,
Welcome to Los Angeles.
Let us know where you are staying. That way we can steer you toward a local Alfa mechanic.
Our So Calif chapter pretty much covers everything from the San Fernando Valley area down to Orange Co.
We are having our Holiday Party Sat Dec 8, Noon till about 4pm. Lots of food and something to drink.
Come by the party and we will give all the free advice we have.
Our website is arosc.org. But I see the party info has not been posted yet.
Let me know if you want to stop by the party and I will get the directions for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for the warm welcome guys!
Paul, I live in Park La Brea in west Hollywood, its basically Fairfax and 3rd. I would love to come to the party!

...och Wille, tack för hemsidorna! Ha det (Wille, Thanx for the articles)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Alex

I will dig up the directions to our Holiday Party for you and also put it on our club area: AROSC

You are located between a couple of Alfa shops. I till also dig up their addresses for you. One I remember is Alfa Only in the Glendale area.

Good hunting for your Spider. Rust is not a problem in Calif. Unless you have a 1970s Alfetta !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
AROSC Holiday Party - spider owners welcome

To Alex and all:
I have posted the information under Club Forums - AROSC

The flyer is posted at: arosc.org

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts