Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as some of you know my beloved alfa was down for a few days due to the hub being messed up and unable to mount the wheel properly. being in new orleans, theft and vandalism was a big worry.

so today I get time and tools to rethread the necessary item, and get the car back on the road. I let the jack down, put the tools away, and start the car right up. it runs but is louder than before.

I initially think the muffler was knocked out of whack when they towed it off the street. nothing so logical. they stole my catalytic converter! no emissions tests here, so plan to bypass with straight pipe. but am amazed that of all the damage they could have done, onlything they did...was steal the catalytic converter.

welcome to new orleans, lol.

kevin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well, here is the latest installment. was carefully driving the car home (loud, but operable). on my way home the car stopped dead and would not restart.

most likey, without getting a signal from the o2 (as it was removed with the cat) the computer shut down. thoughts?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
well, here is the latest installment. was carefully driving the car home (loud, but operable). on my way home the car stopped dead and would not restart.

most likey, without getting a signal from the o2 (as it was removed with the cat) the computer shut down. thoughts?
No, the engine does not REQUIRE the O2 to run. Without the O2, the ECU just does not know what kind of exhaust gas constituent is coming out from the engine. The engine should still run and half the time (perhaps) you might not even feel the difference with a bad O2 - unless the ECU throw up a CEL.

Check basic problems:
1. Fuel pump running and get fuel pressure?
2. Get spark?
3. Crank Angle Sensor (RPM sensor) signal?
4. Air hose came loose?
5. Other electrical problem ...

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I know some of the Jetronic cars can run without an 02 but my guess is exactly what you have surmised.

By the way I'll be in nola from the 10th through the 13th for a little R&R. It's been a couple of years and I just had to get back to see the St. Charlse line back in action.

Glenn

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I would guess that there are wires shorted together. I've seen water get into an O2 sensor connector and cause a car to stall after going through a puddle. That took a while to figure out.

Paul

By the way... just a thought. Who towed the car? Seems like that would be a good time to remove the cat. Other than that it would be a monster to remove with the car on the ground. I bet if you do a little snooping you might find a tow truck driver with some extra cats/cash.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good thought on the tow driver, will check into it. was a pro job as is a very clean cut. not sure how accurate the fuel guage is, was below a quarter tank, so if the guage is not accurate...may just be out of gass.

drop me a line when you are in town, always good to meet another italophile. there is a little italian trattoria on st charles, just past canal. maybe go there for a bite to eat and a drink.

kevin

·
Premium Member
27,180 Posts
good thought on the tow driver, will check into it. was a pro job as is a very clean cut. not sure how accurate the fuel guage is, was below a quarter tank, so if the guage is not accurate...may just be out of gass.

drop me a line when you are in town, always good to meet another italophile. there is a little italian trattoria on st charles, just past canal. maybe go there for a bite to eat and a drink.

kevin
How about the Cameilla Griil is it in operation after storm? We used to ride St. C's out to it and then walk some on the Levee nearby.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I'm staying at Place D'Armes right on Jackson Sq. I'll P.M. you with #. I'm always up far a pint in the quarter or a glass in the CBD. Do you know if the Wine Loft is still open? I always like that place. Pretty local girls, no tourist... ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not sure if the wine loft is still open or not, but there are a few good wine places along st charles. perhaps take the streetcar along st charles to delachaise? they have a very good wine list (50 by the glass) and a nice menu (tapas/bistro style food, very high quality).

drop me a line when you get here. we can figure something out.

kevin

·
Registered
141 Posts
Precious metals

"By the way... just a thought. Who towed the car? Seems like that would be a good time to remove the cat. Other than that it would be a monster to remove with the car on the ground. I bet if you do a little snooping you might find a tow truck driver with some extra cats/cash.[/QUOTE]

Could it be that there is a market for the reclamation of the platinum, palladium and other precious metals in cat converters these days? If this is viable, and the junkies cotton onto this, then cars will have to be redesigned to protect cat converters. Could be a new thing for after-market add ons!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts