Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as some of you know my beloved alfa was down for a few days due to the hub being messed up and unable to mount the wheel properly. being in new orleans, theft and vandalism was a big worry.

so today I get time and tools to rethread the necessary item, and get the car back on the road. I let the jack down, put the tools away, and start the car right up. it runs but is louder than before.

I initially think the muffler was knocked out of whack when they towed it off the street. nothing so logical. they stole my catalytic converter! no emissions tests here, so plan to bypass with straight pipe. but am amazed that of all the damage they could have done, onlything they did...was steal the catalytic converter.

welcome to new orleans, lol.

kevin

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
but am amazed that of all the damage they could have done, onlything they did...was steal the catalytic converter.
:eek:
Is this for recycling the precious metals or for resale?

Perhaps the target indicates that the value was more important to them than the 'thrill' of damage.

It reminds me of the stories when I visited South Africa - apparently some people risk death in order to steal the electricity cabling for the scrap metal value.

I suppose it's easy for us to laugh, as we're not in that kind of desperate situation ourselves. Amazing story all the same though ;)

By the way, my US geography is not that hot, so in your message header, is 'la' the state (Louisiana?) - are states usually in capital letters or small letters? It takes me a while to pick up these things :)

-Alex

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Amusing Story

:eek:
Is this for recycling the precious metals or for resale?

Perhaps the target indicates that the value was more important to them than the 'thrill' of damage.

It reminds me of the stories when I visited South Africa - apparently some people risk death in order to steal the electricity cabling for the scrap metal value.

I suppose it's easy for us to laugh, as we're not in that kind of desperate situation ourselves. Amazing story all the same though ;)

By the way, my US geography is not that hot, so in your message header, is 'la' the state (Louisiana?) - are states usually in capital letters or small letters? It takes me a while to pick up these things :)

-Alex
A lot of theft in California from construction sites for the resale value of electrical wiring, copper wiring etc. to recycling centers; maybe strange or new to Louisiana but not here.

As far as state abbreviations it depends on whose source you are using. The most recognized are the current US postal abbreviations which are two capital letters, CA, MI, RI, MA, LA (Louisiana) etc. However, since I'm a cataloger and many worldwide abbreviations are also two letters we use four or five letters, basically, the old US postal abbreviations that were discontinued some time back, where only the first letter is a capital: Calif., Mich., Mass., Penn., Tenn. etc. The older ones are actually easier for people that don't deal with them all the time because you get more of the word as a hint, rather than, for instance, MI, MA, ME, MO, MN, MS, MT etc.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
LA state of or LA, CA both places to avoid on street parking

Man, that story is something else. Been to New Orleans many times but did the hotel parking garage thing and no night owling.

I feel for you on cat theft but be advised they got your O2 sensor, too as it is mounted in cat so you will have some cut/damaged wires. Hopefully below connectors from engine computer harness green connector for sensor and Bosch 2-wire sensor heater wires.

Cats of yore with precious metal bed are hot ticket items for recycling.

Did they cut your head pipes at flex joints/flange area and center muffler pipe inlet pipe behind flange if so you may need new flex joints and will need some creative piping made with bung hole for O2 sensor.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
Man, that story is something else. Been to New Orleans many times but did the hotel parking garage thing and no night owling.

I feel for you on cat theft but be advised they got your O2 sensor, too as it is mounted in cat so you will have some cut/damaged wires. Hopefully below connectors from engine computer harness green connector for sensor and Bosch 2-wire sensor heater wires.

Cats of yore with precious metal bed are hot ticket items for recycling.
Wow. What a story. Thank god I have no cat. but have 6-10 precious cat's sitting around, maybe I can make some space and some money but recycling them instead of storing them? :p
Jason

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
In CA oem cats can fetch $150+- the cat on the 164 is worth about $120 for recycling purposes. There is a lot of cat theft in the Sacramento area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there is a lot of theft of copper plumbing/wire here. not sure exactly where they cut it, but when I drove it home there was no check engine light, so guessed the o2 was still intact. even if not, no major deal. off to work now.

kevin

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
The shop I work at had an incident last year. We lost 25 cat converters from customer cars and shop cars.(All Volvos) It was a pretty penny to replace them. Thank god for insurance. Some of the newer cars have cats that are over $1,000.00 to replace:eek:
The thieves screwed a couple cars up bad enough that we had to replace the entire exhaust from the heads back.

Thieves suck:mad:

Paul

·
Registered
852 Posts
I am posting my question here as this is the only thread that came up with search word "recycling cats", anyways I have a set of used cats from my svx that I would like to recycle rather than throw them away like I did before (I know, thats kinda stupid, but at that time, neither me nor my friend knew that we can make money by recycling them, well I guess someone else had made money out of them). Anyway I recently had one of my cats on my svx gone bad and I replaced the whole front section (2 primary cats) along with the secondary cat (2-1) with a good used one. I would like to know where I can recycle my old cats?

Also, I have a cracked Acura Integra radiator, is there any place I can recycle it or should I just dump it into our residential recycling bin?

thanks

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
ANy metal recycler

other than the typical cans-HDPE-PE trailers/

Look in your local area for metal recycler, or , ask your trusted mechanic where they recycle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts