Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(This is a bit of a last resort after failing to get any response from the ALC through the contact information they provide on their website.)

I recently paid for a membership as I wanted to join a community of fellow Lancia owners in the US. Unfortunately I haven't seen any sign of actually joining the club except for a confirmation email - but then what? When I was a board member of the Swedish Lancia Club we would always send club material in the form of stickers plus the latest copy of the club's magazine to every new member.

Is there anyone in here who could provide me with contact info to someone close to the ALC leadership? :)

·
Registered
9,234 Posts
This thread in the "New member" section of the discussion forum on the American Lancia Club web site has an e-mail address you may want to try.

·
Registered
91 Posts
we've really got to find a way to get more usage of the alc website. the new site is really nice, should be easy to use and should have more activity. when i look at the lmc website in the uk, there's a very high level of participation. i know they have a huge membership, but we should have better participation than we do now.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I'm a newish member and did have some trouble getting signed up. Still, the timing of this thread from my perspective is ironic. This week I received the Lanciana publication and it is amazing. Beautiful and informative. Congrats to the club and thanks to the One Man Band.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you everyone. I got in touch with Leif from the ALC that has been able to assist me :) I guess sometimes it just takes a little bit of prodding.

I'm assuming the ALC is struggling with similar kind of problems as the Swedish Lancia Club. Most members being post-retirement age (or recently passed away), lack of interesting new Lancia's being produced, and not to mention the brand's absence from the US market is restricting the flow of new blood into the club. On top of that, in Europe there has historically been a rift between Delta integrale owners and owners of pre-FIAT era Lancias as they have attracted very different generations of enthusiasts that also communicate in very different ways (online vs offline).

Ed: Thanks! I saw you PM but this forum doesn't let me send a response until I have at least 10 posts.

·
Registered
129 Posts
At one time an idea was floated of folding the ALC (and other small Lancia clubs) under the very successful British Lancia club, but as one might imagine, that didn't go too far.

But the idea of an umbrella, with sub-clubs, makes some sense ---- if they could all agree (!), and if one could solve the language problem. There is a Lancia club for the Nordic countries, as well as one for Holland, Germany, Switzerland, France Italy, Australia ...

The language issue isn't minor - the Lambda Registry puts out its newsletter in English, French, German and Italian.

We are also troubled by the massive distances - its not just the two coasts (and the few of us in between) but also on each coast the distance is large. And for someone to drive a Lancia from the midwest to an east coast reunion takes about a week of time (2 days each way, plus a few days there).

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
We've always had trouble getting much participation on the ALC web site. A large part of the reason is that the privately-owned lancisti.net forum tends to suck in all of the online Lancia traffic in the US (as well as much from UK, Europe and Australia). That's not a bad thing; it's become one of the two most important English-language forums, and the other one -- the LMC UK forum -- is open only to LMC UK members.

A joint club 'consortium' would be a real challenge. Some years back, I started discussions with FLU -- an independent Fiat / Lancia forum in the US. FCA decided to co-opt FLU as Fiat Club of America, which stopped the conversation, but it would have been a heavy lift just to join two clubs within the US.

·
Registered
91 Posts
At one time an idea was floated of folding the ALC (and other small Lancia clubs) under the very successful British Lancia club, but as one might imagine, that didn't go too far.

But the idea of an umbrella, with sub-clubs, makes some sense ---- if they could all agree (!), and if one could solve the language problem. There is a Lancia club for the Nordic countries, as well as one for Holland, Germany, Switzerland, France Italy, Australia ...

The language issue isn't minor - the Lambda Registry puts out its newsletter in English, French, German and Italian.

We are also troubled by the massive distances - its not just the two coasts (and the few of us in between) but also on each coast the distance is large. And for someone to drive a Lancia from the midwest to an east coast reunion takes about a week of time (2 days each way, plus a few days there).
you're a member of the lmc as well aren't you? what's the cost of membership? i've often wished that they had a provisional membership for those of us in other clubs to use the forum as it would be really great to draw upon the knowledge there. i can't see paying a fee to join the club if i can't get the same benefit as the local membership.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am a member of LMC, and I'm not sure of the cost - $40-60/year? They send out a mailed newsletter every month, and with all due respect to Ed's superior design, it has good content, a story or two every month worth reading. They host a big reunion each year, and also serve as a way to know about other Lancia events in England and in Europe. The knowledge there about Lancias is much more than here.

As to benefits - not too sure how to judge that. LMC has their active forum and newsletter - that's pretty good stuff. ALC has reunions, a 2X year lovely magazine, and a long history. I was more active when Walt Spak was still with us, as he was a good friend for many years.

The one that never made sense was the Registro Aurelia, with its heavy Italian focus and not much for those out of the country. 2 letters a year for two reunions, no list of parts they have available, and no information. Just didn't seem worth the $$, sadly. Their website is pretty much a regurgitation of Bernabo's book on Aurelias... and so it motivated doing something a bit more comprehensive at www.lanciaaurelia.info, if that's of any interest to anyone.

Its hard to figure what works. My interests are in deep dives into the details and the factory's work, and so communication tends to be more with those of similar interests. This doesn't always show up in clubs, which are more about social gatherings and some sharing of stories and info, all good, but too far away for me.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Interesting to read about the club network for Lancia's...

..they've been on my short list of cars to own. I lurked around some of their forums, emailed with some owner's to get some advice, but never joined a club for full access.. I was in touch with some of the officers at US Lancia Club, out in Colorado or Nevada if I recall correctly, trying to track down a particular Lancia in the Boston, MA area... the guys were very helpful and forthcoming.. so I have a good impression of the club.

.. Lancia is one of those brands... I can understand how hard it is to maintain membership numbers, not having had much market penetration here.

Cheers,
- Art

·
Premium Member
26,698 Posts
Old Member of ALC-East

Contact the following:
Vice President West -Leif Neuman
916 677 9811

or

Membership Secretary-Neil Pering

650 537 0810
When we had 79-82 Lancia Beta coupes, Zagato Beta and Scorpion we attended ALC East events as secondary to FLU from 83-95 era.

Sold last Beta coupe in 94 as I remember used to deal with father/son Lancia Consortium in Pittsburgh. Their names escape me now. Maybe Tom and Tom Jr Shenen maybe.

We had a trashed 54 Aurelia V-6 engine out of a Hydroplane my son took to CA and sold to an Aurelia owner out there many years ago. Somebody from Sweden sent me copies of some Aurelia engine shop and parts manuals.

Lost touch with ALC as the old guys I knew in NJ area passed on.

We have two members in our Alfa chapter in NC with HF coupes.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Interesting to read about the club network for Lancia's...

..they've been on my short list of cars to own. I lurked around some of their forums, emailed with some owner's to get some advice, but never joined a club for full access.. I was in touch with some of the officers at US Lancia Club, out in Colorado or Nevada if I recall correctly, trying to track down a particular Lancia in the Boston, MA area... the guys were very helpful and forthcoming.. so I have a good impression of the club.

.. Lancia is one of those brands... I can understand how hard it is to maintain membership numbers, not having had much market penetration here.

Cheers,
- Art
I'm sure that our relatively small numbers have something to do with it, but that some of it is self-selecting. But Lancia owners, almost anywhere -- not just the US, tend to be very willing to help other owners or just anyone who's interested in the marque.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Would anyone (GeoffreyG?, Brockr?) be interested in a Midwest/Great Lakes gathering of Lancia owners? I would hope that between Detroit, Chicago, Toledo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, KC, and others, there might be at least a couple dozen people who are willing/able to drive their Lancia 4-6 hours for a "big" gathering?

If this is something the ALC would be receptive to and helpful toward, I would join. I'd be happy to organize it myself; could use help of course.

Cheers,

Tony K.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Yes. I am in KC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cool.

If there is enough interest, I would like to organize (ideally as part of a team of maybe 2-4 people) a meet.

- First spend several weeks to a couple of months gathering interest -- see who is interested, as well as when and where;
- Once we have a group of people, choose a location and date that works for the largest number of people possible.

A lot of car clubs pick a location and a date and then say "who wants to attend?" I am hoping that by seeing who wants to first and then picking the date and location based on the group, we can have the largest and most enthusiast group possible.

The agenda could be determined by the number of people and their interests. Some ideas I have, just brainstorming, suggestions -- open to all ideas:

- Location to have some scenic point of interest for an informal/relaxed car show/concours.
- Group rate at a hotel
- Maybe a weekend -- just a Saturday-Sunday; maybe plan it so people have the option of just a Saturday night stay, or can arrive Friday night if they choose. Finish up with enough time for people to drive home Sunday evening?
- Scenic tour/drive in the area
- Select a few unique, character-ful restaurants for lunch/dinner
- Have some time set aside for parts swapping (people who want to can bring stuff). Put participants in touch with each other prior to the event so people can post parts for sale and wanted and connect prior to the event.
- Leave lots of time to just socialize and enjoy our cars together.
- Maybe attend a local car show on either day.
- If we get a dozen or more, invite lots of automotive media -- various online and print publications such as Petrolicious, Jalopnik, Road & Track, etc.; if any show up, give them a warm welcome. For how relatively unknown Lancia is in the United States, I think there is a good amount of love or at least curiosity for Lancia among the motoring press and knowledgeable enthusiasts. The number of people who own or are interested in owning a Lancia are limited by a lack of knowledge of the cars; knowledge is limited by lack of publicity and outreach. An event that has a dozen or more Lancias is a unique thing and would be a great point of interest for a classic car journalist.

Just some ideas. Open to whatever would interest the most people.

If we could get 12-24 cars, I think it would be fantastic. But if it were only 4-5, I would still drive six hours +/- to get together with a group!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm up for a midwest gathering. I've wanted to attend the ALC West Coast reunion but it's just too far a drive.

I'm located near St. Louis and have a Fulvia coupe.

-Mike

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Sunday, while on my way to the bookstore, low-and-behold a nice Fulvia in factory rallye colors passed me going in the other direction! Alas, he was well gone before I decided I should turn around and chase him down. It's been years since I knew of another vintage Lancia owner here. Who'da thunk it . . . ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
What about a midwest Lancia reunion say in Brown County, southern Indiana? About 5 hrs away from everyone... beautiful roads. I have a friend with a 1929 Packard and they are doing a classic car run down there, so they may know places to go/stay.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts