Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider by Pininfarina | Amelia Island 2015 | RM Sotheby's

So this car sold for $88,000? I don't get it.

And just over 2 years ago it sold for $27,100

Market 447: Spider 170763 in Florida | Alfa Romeo Giuliettas

In the mean time it lost its vent windows, and added the "Alfa Romeo Made in Italy" plate in the engine compartment (among a few other minor "changes"). Never mind ALL of the other incorrect things about this car.

The only explanation I can come up with is someone with a lot of money bought it for his wife/girlfriend/mistress because she wanted it. (and was bidding against a similar bidder).

It is shinny..... but what happened to the vent windows. I just don't get it.

Whoever sold this car must be laughing all the way to the bank.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
..and then there was the $220,000 280SL...I think the auction houses could sell the winning bidders list for big profit... assuming of course the drugs don't wear off those on the list.

The winner of this one must have missed out on the one at Gooding the night before that went for $77000...http://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1963-alfa-romeo-giulia-spider/.. an equally unspectacular specimen

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider by Pininfarina | Amelia Island 2015 | RM Sotheby's

So this car sold for $88,000? I don't get it.

And just over 2 years ago it sold for $27,100

Market 447: Spider 170763 in Florida | Alfa Romeo Giuliettas

In the mean time it lost its vent windows, and added the "Alfa Romeo Made in Italy" plate in the engine compartment (among a few other minor "changes"). Never mind ALL of the other incorrect things about this car.

The only explanation I can come up with is someone with a lot of money bought it for his wife/girlfriend/mistress because she wanted it. (and was bidding against a similar bidder).

It is shinny..... but what happened to the vent windows. I just don't get it.

Whoever sold this car must be laughing all the way to the bank.
Supposedly, the car went through a restoration since the last sale. So the seller came out behind or barely ahead, and the buyer gets someone else's restoration. Not a good bargain for either side, IMHO.

P.S. I just looked at the 2012 listing. Hardly anything was done to this car. So the seller made a killing.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Here's a curious question.. did he make the door glass from scratch? Must have since there is none from the factory on a LWB car that I am aware of.
Huge modification.

As there are no photos with the door glass up are we sure the car even has door glass?
Pete

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
..and then there was the $220,000 280SL...I think the auction houses could sell the winning bidders list for big profit... assuming of course the drugs don't wear off those on the list.
The 190SL prices amaze me even more. Have these buyers driven one of these slugs? At least a Giulietta drives as well as my old, dear 1980 Toyota Corolla. And that is strong praise for a car designed 30 years earlier.

·
Administrator
3,813 Posts
Sacre Bleu, doubles the value of ours straight away !!

This one gained new gauge inserts but lost the rear view mirror, gained new black carpeting and non contrasting piping on the seat covers - those seats look like they have been oiled with GTX......the amount of silicone spray to get that shine must have made a small hole in the Ozone layer

Agree with Uncle, there's no LWB non vent glass, I'd guess that the windows are still there, but without the vent window channels they don't operate.

Curious about the stance, is it cheaper on gas if it's always running downhill, or is that a redneck theory ??

Aye
Greig

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I think that Spider price shows how much cars are worth at this time. I did not attend the auction and cannot comment on the condition of the car, but I heard that a 1958 Spider Veloce was sold for 135K. I am restoring two 750 Spiders and wonder what they are worth after restoration. They are both undergoing complete restoration and will be restored to original condition as possible. I know that the paint, chrome and interior will be better than original. I recently restored my 101 Sprint Veloce which has been in my family since new and the paint, chrome and interior are better than the original. I think that any car is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay. A friend sold his 250 GTO Ferrari for $3,300 and was happy to make a $200 profit. I think that he should have kept his car, but that was a long time ago.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Properly restored, presented as "close" to original with some embeliishments in detailing allowed, 750 Spider Veloces have been trading quietly in the 125 and up range for a few years. That does not justify using these numbers as a base point to arrive at a value for Normales that are significantly less accurate or prepared. It's a little like comparing a LW Sprint to the 9's with a Sprint Normale.. It just doesn't reach regardless of what discount factor is used. They have to be valued in their own basket. That said, it's been a long time since I have seen a really good Giuliettta or Giulia Spider (N) that deserves to be in the mix of high 80's or above. I'm not suggesting there aren't any but they would be very rare in my book and the subject cars sold at auction aren't even close which demonstrates how rare they are.... So bottom line is, if you want to sell a car at auction like a Normale, smooch it up cheap and go to the bank. The effort to put it in a class by itself might pick up 10% above these crazy numbers but if resale at auction is the motive then you are better off doing the former. At least, that's my opinion and worth about nothing in the grand scheme of things..

·
Registered
155 Posts
I saw it in person and agree

I got to look at this car up close in the RM tent. K and N air filter, bubble on trunk lid, seats heinously shiny, etc. Didn't notice the windows!

But I suppose this is where the market is now. The cars at fantasy junction have been in a similar range lately and have been selling.

These are pretty little cars and half the price of a 356 roadster and in the same range as big Healeys. That is all I can figure.

Scott

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
IMHO most of these cars are being bought by people who are not really knowledgable about what they are buying, AND that are sitting on a huge pile of cash.

They think (correctly btw) that these little convertibles (be it a Giulietta, 190sl or other similar) are very cool, and when they find a shiny looking one in a nice attractive color they just buy it.

$88K or $120K makes no difference to them, and it doesn't matter if they are 100% correct or not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Auctions are a unique situation... the booze if flowing generally... and, in this day/age where a nice 2015 Mercedes/BMW/Audi/Jag/Rover etc is EASILY in the $100,000 range... people see these cars as being a great value in an "Exotic Vintage Toy"

Make no mistake... the people paying these prices have been "sold" on the cars.. and most likely are not a collector or even know what they are looking at.

I can say, with confidence, that the buyers at those prices in those conditions are not savvy as to what is out there or what it will take to bring the car up to a good user, with originality and all systems addressed in bristol shape.

I see this often in my work, Riva boats, the sellers often believe that their boats are better than they are... and the buyers don't know either... and the cycle continues.

Auctions are becoming "fantasy world" ... especially the high-profile auction houses that group together a Giulietta and a Ferrari 330 in the same auction... the momentum is there and the prices get dragged up by people caught up in the star-struck feature cars in the auction...I've watched it many times.

These days.... Auctions are not necessarily where you get the best value or best cars... in fact, it's rare.

Just my $0.02

1 - 13 of 13 Posts