Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 Montreal. 2019 Giulia ti Sport
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to have in the trunk of my Giulia ti Sport for equipment. I have the run-flat tires, but apparently no jack or spare tire. What gives? I just acquired my 2019 six weeks ago, and it's an ex-executive FCA car.

Thanks in advance for any information.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I thought they all came with a tire inflator and can of tire goo

Theft of car toolkits is a problem in Italy. Mine was stolen out of the 164 before delivery. The thieves bashed in the spare tire well filler piece and took the toolkit out from below. That's how we noticed it missing, there was a leak into the trunk!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,205 Posts
These days most cars with runflats don’t come with a spare, jack, or tire goo. My wife’s Mini is like that. So I suspect that’s how it was sold.

My daily driver has regular tires but just has tire goo and an inflator, no jack or spare.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I'm not saying the toolkit was stolen. I was just saying it's a problem. The spaces in the foam insert are clearly intended for something. That something is clearly missing. Most likely what's missing are the tire inflator and tire goo. Mind you, those are only needed instead of runflats not as well as. Now that would give been a more appropriate criticism of my effort to assist.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,205 Posts
That's apparently only included if you have standard tires. Versions with runflats appear to exclude the compressor. Ref:

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
It is. Although I think the inflator can be left unattended in theory. Nobody does that of course.

The issue is supplying the same car with two different types of tire. The QF has regular tires.

Mind you, getting a flat is pretty rare these days. I wouldn't try and replace a flat tire on the shoulder of a road, any road.

Many women and older men can't change the wheel on a newer car. The current fashion for absurdly oversized wheels means many of them are so heavy a normally string woman or an old man cannot lift them. Space saver sure but then what? You lrave the 60+ lbs of factory tire and wheel behind?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,205 Posts
I'm sorry, I missed the run flat part at the beginning. So instead of providing a spare tire that can be changed in a matter of minutes, the manufacturer provides a time consuming procedure to "repair" the tire. This seems just as dangerous as having to change a flat. :unsure:
The inflator system is easier and safer than changing a tire. No need to use the jack, get the lug nuts off, muscle the wheels around, etc. Also saves significant weight & space, which is the real reason automakers like it. Only downside is if you get something like a sidewall tear it won't work.

I suspect most people just call AAA anyway.

·
chiuso per ferie
11,773 Posts
The inflator system is easier and safer than changing a tire. No need to use the jack, get the lug nuts off, muscle the wheels around, etc. Also saves significant weight & space, which is the real reason automakers like it. Only downside is if you get something like a sidewall tear it won't work.

I suspect most people just call AAA anyway.
Not for me. After watching that video, it's too much of a PITA to deal with a run flat.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,205 Posts
No with run flat tires you just drive on the deflated tire to somewhere to get it fixed or replaced. The inflator kit is for use with standard tires.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
And then you throw the runflat away and buy a whole new tire. Or maybe two if you have to match wheelspeed across an axle or four if you have awd of some types. Yup, runflats make perfect sense.

If you sell tires for a living.

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
With the SS I bought, you had the choice of either an inflator and goop, or a full sized spare tire with jack and lug wrench. The PO had opted for the full sized tire. The lug nut torque is 140 lb-ft, but not sure I could work easily with that, so I bought one of the extender bars for the lug nut socket. Don't expect to need it for a flat, but you never know. One of the new tires does have a very slow leak, so will have see about that some day at Discount Tire.

No run flats for me on any of our cars, ever.

·
Premium Member
1972 Montreal. 2019 Giulia ti Sport
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you everyone for your informative input. I suspected that there was a space for the inflator. I just wanted confirmation. As far as a tool kit, I have the screwdriver, and tow hook. Should there be anything else?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most cars no longer have a spare tire; many have run flats or the totally useless inflation kits. I knew when I factory ordered my 2018 Giulia that it did not come with a spare but instead run flats. I knew that because I researched the car before ordering. When a car comes with run flats it does not have a spare nor inflation kit. I no longer have the Giulia, but its replacement, a 2019 Charger Scat Pack, does not come with a spare but only an inflation kit. Since it does have a wheel well where a spare and tire kit can fit, I just purchased a spare tire and kit. Spare tires are being offered in fewer and fewer cars. Of course with the Giulia there is no place to put a spare in trunk, but the same was true in prior 3 series BMWs I owned. It's just something newer car owners have to live with.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Gorilla made an excellent telescoping lug wrench. It was designed to be used in collapsed position to tighten and extended to loosen. Of course it could be extended for either task if one knew what 100 lb ft felt like.

I bought one for the trunk of each car driven by my three daughters. They still have them. My wife won't change a tire. She has an extendable cell phone with my number on speed dial. I'm sure she loves me.

I have not changed a tire beside the road for nearly 50 years now. Slow leaks are often valve stems, easy to check with ordinary spit. Or soapy water. Also, poor bead setting is often to blame. Checking visually for a nail or screw is easy although taking the wheel off the car makes it easier. Worst damage was caused by one if those awful snap off knife blades. Nearly cost me a new tire.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Inflator kits work fine. They don't work for catastrophic damage to a tire but runflats have a similar weakness if the sidewall damage is severe enough. The big problem with runflats, besides their pedestrian performance characteristics, is you cannot get them repaired. You have to replace a runflat because no reputable tires shop will fix one. The permitted miles on a flat runflat is very limited. 50 miles might be too far.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had a flat on my Giulia repaired by a very reputable local shop (approx. 6 months ago). No problems since.

Also of you get a flat with a regular tire, you might not be able to get a jack underneath the car to change it.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I had a flat on my Giulia repaired by a very reputable local shop (approx. 6 months ago). No problems since.

Also of you get a flat with a regular tire, you might not be able to get a jack underneath the car to change it.
Runflat tires must not be repaired. The stress on the tire carcass while running at zero pressure causes damage that cannot be assessed safely. You should change tire shops. Car jacks are designed to fit under a car with a flat tire. It would be pointless otherwise. If you lower your car then sure the factory jack might not work but otherwise they will always fit under the car no matter how flat the tire gets.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts