Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the manual car out today for a 200 mile trip after a three month lay up. It started first turn of the key and ran really well but the clutch is making me a little nervous.

A couple of times after I had stopped and let the clutch up it came up quite slowly. If I then pumped it I got the squishing sound of air in the system.
The slave cylinder is not too old, maybe five years, but the master is original as far as I know, certainly not changed in the 18 years of my ownership.

Does this sound like a cylinder problem or more like a need to change the fluid?

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
Maybe just low on fluid? (which, of course, means there is a leak).

Or, does the clutch pedal eventually return to the uppermost position?. If not, you may be in the early stages of pivot shaft failure. This is where the weld attaching the clutch arm to the shaft fails. Use search to find lots of information.

I took the manual car out today for a 200 mile trip after a three month lay up. It started first turn of the key and ran really well but the clutch is making me a little nervous.

A couple of times after I had stopped and let the clutch up it came up quite slowly. If I then pumped it I got the squishing sound of air in the system.
The slave cylinder is not too old, maybe five years, but the master is original as far as I know, certainly not changed in the 18 years of my ownership.

Does this sound like a cylinder problem or more like a need to change the fluid?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response George. Fluid level is right to the brim so there doesn't seem to be a leak, and the pedal returns fully so I'm hoping it's not the weld failure. I will have a close look at that tomorrow, though.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Eric, I think that will be my starting point. I didn't notice the issue until the car was well warmed up so it could well be moisture in there boiling up into gas.
I hope it is that simple!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have only just got back to this. I changed the fluid today and it was definitely in need of it, it was not a good colour.

It has improved things but I don't think I have got all the air out. I'm going to leave it to settle overnight and have another go at bleeding it tomorrow. I'm using a Gunson pressure bleeder.

However, I now have another issue which I will post separately, regarding the alternator warning light.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Be thankful it is a clutch HYDRAUYLIC problem and not a clutch mechanical problem. A lot easier and cheaper to fix!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts