Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As u all know i'm trying to sell my car i got a text in my phone from a guy in the UK being interested and mailed him back.

Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 02:41:44 -0800
> From: [email protected]
> Subject: Gtv
> To: [email protected]
>
> Hello
>
> Yeap it's still for sale 14.000 euros
> If you have any questions about the car ask away :)
>
>
> Regards
>
> Laz
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"To:
[email protected]
Hello,

I got your message.how i wish i could come down to check the car myself but am out of state now...I'm a Zoologist,that brought me to Britain for a contract with a zoological company here in Uk so i needed a nice car like urs to transport myself and our animals around the woods sometimes......I can make the payment via:

-Bank to bank Transfer
-Paypal Payment.

So let me know the final price of the car without the shipping cost, which of the payment method do u prefer? I will like to see recent pictures of that vehicle if any.

I will take care of the car Shipping from here, i will contact a shipping company here to pick it up as soon as you got the payment.

Have a nice day.
Bobby

---------------------------------------
Hello

You want a pristine Alfa Romeo Gtv2000 to drive in the woods and have animals inside??(!!)

Asking price is 14.000 euros , money transfer is my wish.

I'll look for more photos

Cheers

Laz

What's the angle in this? Cause it's sure is fishy or downright crazy

·
Registered
470 Posts
Driving around in the woods with animals inside a vintage GTV...dont think so...

·
Registered
564 Posts
You won't get scammed if you respond to this, money will disappear after you get it, possibly quite a while after, my bank is reluctant to take dividend cheques now from large Australian listed companies for this reason, I think they are being OTT about this but in your case stay away.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if the guy agrees to money transfer to my bank , is there any other way to get me?
he mentioned paypal i think he angle here IS paypal

·
Registered
564 Posts
You won't get scammed if you respond to this, money will disappear after you get it, possibly quite a while after, my bank is reluctant to take dividend cheques now from large Australian listed companies for this reason, I think they are being OTT about this but in your case stay away.
Sorry , I meant to say You won't get scammed if you DON"T respond to this.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats ok give me the details in the format below to avoid any mistake :

Account Name;
Account Number;
Bank Name:
IBAN:
Swift Code:
car Type:
Car price
Mobile Phone:

I will be off in a moment to know how much the shipping company will bill to pick up the car from you after the payment.
Bobby

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Thats ok give me the details in the format below to avoid any mistake :

Account Name;
Account Number;
Bank Name:
IBAN:
Swift Code:
car Type:
Car price
Mobile Phone:

I will be off in a moment to know how much the shipping company will bill to pick up the car from you after the payment.
Bobby
If you give him that information, 100% guarantee you'll be ripped off. And you'll deserve it. I recently sold a grand piano on a local classified site and some of the scammer stories were even more ridiculous - my favorite was the person who couldn't come see the piano because they were working as a researcher in Antartica...

-Jason

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,040 Posts
Driving around in the woods with animals inside a vintage GTV...dont think so...
How else would you move your goats to a different field . . .

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Bobby
Tell him you need 50E for gas and he has to send that to you via the mail so that you can gas the car to deliver it to the shipper.

See what answer you get. I guarantee it will be comical.

Also, offer to tear out the rear seat and have a cage installed to hold his goats and wild boars. Ask for 1500E since it will be much cheaper to do in Greece than the UK.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Tell him you need 50E for gas and he has to send that to you via the mail so that you can gas the car to deliver it to the shipper.

See what answer you get. I guarantee it will be comical.

Also, offer to tear out the rear seat and have a cage installed to hold his goats and wild boars. Ask for 1500E since it will be much cheaper to do in Greece than the UK.
And that the 50E has to be cash since you live out in a remote area where the only gas station within 100 miles only takes cash. And that you have no cash since you've been jobless for a year which is why you are having to sell the car.

·
Registered
184 Posts
what can a scammer do with this info? it's not that useful for a scam
Not much with that info. But he hasn't yet dropped the inevitable story about why he's going to have to pay you MORE than your asking price, then, oh, could you send the difference back to him, preferably by Western Union or some other essentially CASH method....

·
Registered
158 Posts
It such a shame that everyone has become paranoid about accepting or even answering overseas emails in case they could be a scam.
I'm paranoid as well - I ran a wanted ad for a gearbox specifying I would only consider / pick up locally - had a fantastic number responses from around the world. Probably most were genuine respondents, but I just didn't want to chance opening up a scam. (and apologies to the genuine respondents).

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
There is also the possibility that he is indeed a zoologist and that due to some unfortunate mishap he has been killed or kidnapped by a group of chimpanzees or some other high order primates who are now impersonating him over the internet.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Why is this even being debated? It is such an obvious, clumsy, ancient, played out scam that it doesn't even warrant the discussion. Anyone from abroad offering to buy something as specific as a GTV, with that kind of generalized bullsh*t language, sight unseen for full pop..... C'mon people, wake up!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Why is this even being debated? It is such an obvious, clumsy, ancient, played out scam that it doesn't even warrant the discussion. Anyone from abroad offering to buy something as specific as a GTV, with that kind of generalized bullsh*t language, sight unseen for full pop..... C'mon people, wake up!
I don't know, the thing about the chimpanzees imersonating over the internet gave me some entertainment value.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts