Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
AM/FM Radio Poor Reception — Antenna issue?

Greetings all!

I bought an Alfa Romeo with the expectation that I would have a luxury brand experience, so far it has been anything but…

I have a newly-bought 2017 Giulia sedan, and ever since I have had this problem with AM/FM reception for the past 5 months. I believe I am hearing two radio stations at the same time, along with some background static white noise VERY SCRATCHY…

I have had a Lexus and BMW previously and the reception has always been perfect for me, including my cellphone wireless for the area where I live in Katonah, New York…

I KNOW this is an antenna issue and not a stereo issue, because when I directly connect my iPod to my Giulia’s stereo the stereo itself sounds perfectly fine. It is clear and beautiful and is the best stereo system I’ve ever had in a car…

Attempted Solutions:
1. Replace the Stereo with a Sirius-XM-compatible Stereo system. I even offered to pay for part of the upgrade… I was told by the dealership it cannot be done… Why can’t it be done? WHY?
2. My original car dealership cannot help me and claim that it is simply receiving poor reception….and left it at that. No offer for replacement of any parts or straight-up repairs. Nothing…. I brought it in twice without attaining any results whatsoever. They don’t know how to fix my car!
3. Alfa Romeo Premium Care has even offered me a $200 detailing credit, which doesn’t address my main issue — fixing my car! On top of that, I never could reach the manager himself to speak with over the phone…. The associate even recommended I go to BestBuy for an aftermarket third-party device to augment my AM/FM Radio system in order to attain better reception! How does the phrase “third party device” get mixed into a LUXURY BRAND EXPERIENCE? I don’t get it.

Pending Solution:
1. Trade-in and Buy a New Car.

FAQ
1. How can I get this fixed?
2. If there is anyone else who also lives in my area in Katonah, New York — as a Giulia (preferably 2017 and/or 2018) and can comment on my situation? How is the reception in your car for you? Do you have the same problem as me? I would like to know whether or not this issue is specific to my car alone or the model car or year model of the car itself… Or maybe the antenna for my Giulia 2017 just sucks to begin with, despite it being advertised as part of a luxury car brand, compared to Lexus or BMW or Mercedes… What did you do to fix this problem yourself? Or do you not have the same problem at all…?

I really want to get down to the bottom of this. Any information you can provide will be of great help to me.

Right now I cannot recommend this car to ANYBODY, because of this persistent issue…

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Video links to my issue!

I have recorded videos on the issue, the links are below. Please tell me what you think!

www DOT youtube DOT com/

watch?v=mdZFceiyhHc
watch?v=iC78pfYSdUQ
watch?v=JK_wQ9qNfRc

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Have had no problem of the sort. What is your dealer saying?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2018 Stelvio (stock) and I have the same issue. Around San Diego, 600AM (KOGO) is marginal and 640AM (KFI, Los Angeles) is too weak to hear. Even my 2006 Jeep has better reception. There's no option on my system to disable HD Radio (maybe I need a software update?)

·
Premium Member
15,620 Posts
Does sound like an antenna problem, have they really checked/cleaned all the connections? A guess, but it still could be a radio problem, as the signal input is different than the Ipod? Replace the radio on warranty? Talk to a differrent dealer or call Alfa. and, doesn't Cal have a lemon law of sorts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts