Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was gearing up to spend a few $ on our existing 164 namely the aircon and exhaust, although suspension bushes and some of the internal trim need attention as well, it just never ends. And now I come across another 164 what appears to be mint internal and external trim, good paint (darker shade of silver than ours), but with a fault with the power steering - the fluid just drains out. Its either something major with the rack or a simply a split hose or loose connection - surely?

The car is cheap, but not local - freight will be 2-5 times the cost of the vehicle. I've spent more on replacement bumper and fog lamps at the local wrecker than this car - if I exclude the transport cost.

I had not planned on buying another 164 - I have (or had) my eyes on a 166 series 2 or (ouch) a Nissan Murano. My biggest concern is that I'll end up with a neater in appearance 164 with a stack of unkown mechanical / electrical issues. I've spent a LOT of $ on our existing 164 (rebuilt heads, troubleshooting electrical issues and aircon) but it is TIRED.

So, do I put the two together and make one good one, and sell the tired one? The cheap 164 has a cloth interior, ours is leather - I am keen to swap it over as I reckon the leather makes it the executive car that it is. What are the chances of locating a Q recaro interior in Australia? That will probably cost more than the car...

So, throw some advice at me please :)

Benjamin

·
Premium Member
16,164 Posts
You can drive the car home without steering fluid. Just cut the pump drive belt so that you don't run on a dry pump, and drive. Steering will be heavy at slow speeds, but the highway will be almost normal. Had the hose blow on my LS a few years ago, and had to drive 150 miles with no power steering. No problems as long as I remembered about slowing down first before trying to steer around sharp bends, as much effort was be required. Changed the hoses, and no problems since.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
So, throw some advice at me please
How you proceed depends on whether you are a true Alfa enthusiast or not....
Your proposal sounds like a lot of fun to me - I am currently merging two Alfa 164's.
Financially your project is a loser but probably much less so than spending big bucks on a Murano, or any new car.
It just takes a lot of time and endless patience.
When you do the merger you need to take the time and care to restore whatever you work on, especially the electrics.
To my thinking the car must be a reliable daily driver for five years once you are done merger/restoration.
It can be great fun if you have the time and don't need the car soon.

From how far does the donor car need to be relocated?
Driving it home appears to be the better option.
Is there no way to collect it on a trailer or tow dolly?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts