Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Does anyone have a source for the aluminum valve stems for Chromodora rims. The current clamp-in stems are Schrader 1446 stems. I can't find them anywhere and most of the 79 threads found in a search deal with cylinder heads.
Many thanks

Simon

·
Registered
403 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
valve stems

Yes, the ones I purchased look similar. Except they have a much larger o-ring underneath. I looked back via the site and couldn’t find a pic' of the ones on mine. But they were aluminum and coated, "cadmium"? I hope someone with more knowledge on the matter chimes in. As you have to be careful with older rims when it comes to metallurgical properties. The reason I purchased the coated ones was because I had trouble getting the stem out of one wheel, as it was corroded from metal incompatibility. Also another option is to use a base off one of the new ones to insure a proper seal, and use the (cleaned) top nut from your old ones for proper fit and originality.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Corroded

Great.

I'm taking them off to paint the rims but they're corroded on. They're currently soaking in WD40 but if they don't come off by tomorrow am, they're going to get drilled out!

Thanks for the help

Simon

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Drilling them out is what I had to do to 3 of the 4 rims. It wasn't pretty getting them off, but at least I didn't damage the rim! My local tire store didn't have anything to fit, so I just went with plain rubber stems for now. Now that I know what to look for, I might have to get some new ones installed for the more "original" look. Thank you for posting this question.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Love to get originals

Hi Chris.

I suspect the drill will be working tomorrow but I'd love to get the originals. Nothing at IAP, Centerline or Re-Originals that I could see.

I might try Schrader on Monday but nothing in their catalog.

There are some chromed ones around but stainless steel or aluminum would be good.

Simon

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Did you look on Ebay for some "valve stems". I saw some nice ones that would look good if you can't come up with some original ones. If by chance you come across an extra set of 5 originals, I would be interested. :)

·
Registered
403 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Don't buy these

The aluminum valve stems from Ezaccessory (pic below) I mentioned in my previous post are not good - poor quality and don't look good. Don't buy them.
The chrome ones may be OK - they look like the ones I bought.
The packaging was poor as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
Valve Stems FS

Have a set of chrome valve stems not being used set for $40 Plus shipping.

(Not OEM AR)

PM if interested:

Dimensions as follows:

Base cap diameter: 18.75mm
Height from base to tip: 32.75mm
Two step stem: above base to first step - 18mm ; step to tip 11mm
Height of base cap: 3.75mm
Stepped seal gasket: height of base to first step 3.5mm - second 3mm

Stem diameters: thick 10.15mm; thin step 7.6mm

*****************SOLD 7/31/2007************************

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts