Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just wanted to share with you the installation I did of an aluminum radiator to my Spider. I bought this radiator from Ron Davis in Phoenix and just installed it. It was custom made and fit perfectly.

I hope I can test it this weekend………….

Simon will help on posting pictures.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Racing

Hola Antonio,

No, our next race is till August when all the big guys come back from their vacation. I will only go test the new radiator. i will keepyou all posted.

Any news on the Pony War book?

thanks,

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I can not wait to see the photos, If you can can you please tell us the contact info for this person, and is it 3row or 4 row, and was it much lighter?
Thanks
PSB

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Details

Hi PSB,

I got it from RonDavisRadiatos.com and Tim Crosby helped me out. I bought a radiator from them in the past and had it installed in a GTV (race car) and although I did not get a chance to test it (I sold the car before even testing it) I did see that the temp was much lower after that! Quality was good so I decided to go back. Tim said that if any of us went to get one for our Alfas he would give us a better price!

My car has a 2.0 lt full race engine prepared by Rex Chalmers of Alfa Sport in Wisconsin (formerly Omega Motorsports in CA) and although I could keep the temp within limits by easing off the pace, I did not want to do that! I run against a 3.6lt. 911!!! Imagine that thing on the straight against a 2.0 Alfa!! I figured the new radiator will no harm and lot’s of cooling = “insurance”?? (I HOPE!!!). And this way I could go full throttle for the 30 min. duration of the race.

After measuring the original radiator from the Spider (101.23) and talking to Tim this was what we came to: Original one is DOWN FLOW, Tim said CROSS FLOW is better so we went that way. This meant having different inlet and outlet ports and new custom hoses. While at this Tim said that “If we can make it a double pass (all depended on the port sides) it will lower the temps much more!”, so guess what I picked? A double pass has a parting line in the middle and allows (or makes) the water go twice trough the front of the car by the incoming air and you then get twice cooling effects, this does not mean twice the results. Go to www.rondavisradiators.com for a better explanation.

All this meant new hoses, new custom made brackets and some effort. I wanted to do this myself (stubborn). Tim installed 4 mounting bosses so I really only had to do 2 very simple straight brackets and 2 90° ones. Installation was not hard but it does take time and you have to make sure it does not make any contact with the steering linkage and that you will be able to put hoses on it! If I had to make a new one I would make some changes, minor ones only.

Besides temp dropping, one other very good thing going to Aluminum is weight savings!! AMAZING how light and jet still very solid it feels. I noticed this when I took the original off, it’s heavy! I discussed the thickness, Tim said it makes NO sense a 4 row because it does not allow as much air to go through the radiator and cool the water and it acts as a WALL and slows you down, so we kept it a 3 row, besides Spiders are tight, we did not have much space!

I will test the car this weekend, if works allows, right now I am swamped!!

I will keep you all posted, thanks for the interest!!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
The new radiator installation looks great Eliseo! I like those blue hoses too. Let us know how cool she runs now.

I was wondering about the old radiator. Was that a stock radiator for a Giulietta? I ask because of the customized top radiator hose going across like that. I've never seen that set up before.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Original Radiatror Mods

Hi Kai,

The "original" radiator did have some modifications:
-No filler neck, it has a remote unit.
-The inlet I believe is the same, it is a 101, not a 750 and the configuration changed...I think so.

I hope I can test it soon, I was told my local track has a race this weekend so it will have to wait till next one……DARN!!!!

Regards,

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Eliseo;
Thanks for all the info!!
And your car is so well sorted out!!! It looks wounderful!!!!
Thanks and Very Good Job
PSB

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Testing!

Hi all,

I finally got a chance to go test the new radiator!

It was an open test day at our local track and there were also some bikes out there so we had ½ hr. intervals.

I was the first one out on a very dirty and muddy track. I took it very easy and wanted to make sure we did not have any leaks. Came in and verified all to be fine.

Second time out I started to go faster (to my standards) and the water temp did not even go over 180°! Oil temp was around 200°.

Third time out I did go flat out and only managed to get the water temp to 190°!!! Now I will have to cover it a bit to get in the 200° range.

I am very happy with the final outcome, the product I got from Ron Davis Radiators was good and the temps came down to what I was told they would do.

Happy racing to all………..

Regards,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts