Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gentlemen I recently acquired a 1600 GT and wanting to convert it into a GTA tribute car.

I saw both Alfaholic and Classic Alfa offer Aluminum panels with similar price. Do any of you have experience with their panels, is there any main difference in their front wings?

THX!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Hi Gentlemen I recently acquired a 1600 GT and wanting to convert it into a GTA tribute car.

I saw both Alfaholic and Classic Alfa offer Aluminum panels with similar price. Do any of you have experience with their panels, is there any main difference in their front wings?

THX!
You can also check out the German suppliers, OKP Alfa, Bertelsbeck, Heinbrand and I extect there are other suppliers as well.

Reactions: Steve105

·
Administrator
14,305 Posts
Disappointing decision. Not necessarily by you, but potentially a future owner WILL try and sell this car as a genuine GTA :(

We really need to do all we can to prevent these crooks
Pete

Reactions: f4driver

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Don't like PSK's or Administrator's comments as he has prejudged future owners as crooks.
PSK would not be a crook if he converted his GTV 1750 to a GTAm (in one of PSK's old posts he was going to convert his 1750 to a GTAm), but the person he sells is to will be a crook when they sell it, nice one!

Regards Steve

·
Administrator
14,305 Posts
View attachment 1658885 Don't like PSK's or Administrator's comments as he has prejudged future owners as crooks.
PSK would not be a crook if he converted his GTV 1750 to a GTAm (in one of PSK's old posts he was going to convert his 1750 to a GTAm), but the person he sells is to will be a crook when they sell it, nice one!

Regards Steve
If it was not such a problem, I would not make these comments, but yes you do have a very valid point.

What is so wrong with having a steel bodied GT that looks a lot like a GTA?. Do we really have to go the whole hog? But yes Alipapa can do as they please, their car and all.
Pete (not speaking as an administrator at all. Completely my biased personal opinion)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The GTA tribute cars tend to be built with parts that are of equal or of better quality to the originals like those parts that are developed by the many suppliers like Alfaholic, Classic Alfa, OKP Alfa, Bertelsbeckand, Heinbrand, plus others.
In 2121 when none of us are around, the GTA tribute car's will still be around along with the original GTAs, as to which ones are in museums and which ones are still running on the road who knows.
Regards Steve

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hi Alipapa, A/holics front wings have the more correct wheel arch profile. Other than that I can't really compare, but assume most panels would be coming from the same pressings.
Steve & PSK both make good points. Tribute/replica cars are fine & nobody should be condemned for simply choosing that path for his own car. The only time problems arise is when people try to then claim it an original rather than replica.
As you say Alipapa, the best way forward is to list the chassis number & what you are doing to it anyway, so that you can't ever be dragged into any potential hassles by some future other owner/seller.
It is also true to say that it is not possible to build an exact replica from a GT anyway, as some of the underlying differences of a GTA are just not present, nor broadly known. This ultimately will catch out a lot of the 'grey area' cars.
Regards,
Vince.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I already listed my VIN on the registry.

What I want to "make" is a car with GTA spirit, more like "how would it be done now" kind of thing. so I am not using a twin spark engine (also budget wise it is too expensive for me). instead I am using a 2.0 engine. Also some panels will be Fibger glass to save cost. It is not going to a 318 with M3 badge. I am not going to put GTA badge on the car:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
You are not going to save costs with fiber glass panels.
1. They weigh more the aluminum so the car will be heavier
2. They require more prep work and they move so they are wavy which means if you don't like wavy panels you will need to re prep and paint them at least twice, some don't fit well either..
3. Aluminum panels don't have to be painted, so a saving.(just polish the panels)

Don't settle 1/2 measures,
You asked about aluminum panels stick to your guns and get them.
As for putting badges on your car, you can put a Ford badge on your car, are the Ford owners going to come over and tell you off.
I thought it was as close as you can get to the weight and handling of an original GTA apart part from the look.

Regards Steve

·
Registered
544 Posts
Is it worth the effort ? What is the actual weight saving between alloy panels vs steel ? Not taking in to account any of the other GTA weight saving measures
ie: magnesium casings , lots of holes ! Factor in all having to rivet the panels on and galvanic corrosion caused by dissimilar metals.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Car manufacturers have been glueing aluminum panels onto steel frames for the last decade with out issues of galvanic corrosion caused by dissimilar metals. They don't even rivet the panels that's how strong modern glues are.

There are a few approaches to building a GTA Tribute car(one with aluminum panels and eventually a 1960's twin spark engine)

But first the supply of cars

the resurgence of fully restored GT Sprints 1600 /GT Veloce 1600 cars, that has limited the supply of donor GT Sprints 1600 / GT Veloce 1600 cars for GTA tribute cars.

First level: Good GT Sprints 1600 /GT Veloce 1600 cars are easy restorations cars which are mostly complete and need little or no metal repairs.

Second level:, some of GT Sprints 1600 /GT Veloce 1600 cars were modified from original different engines, brakes and wrong interiors. these are the ~1990's cultural cars. Most are too far gone with respect to being fully restored due to a combination of delayed maintenance/repair short cuts and missing parts. I'm not saying it they can't be restored, it just will take allot longer and cost more.

Third level: there are the severe needs cars, these have major rust issues in various places or missing many parts and interiors. Sometimes these are abandoned projects parted out or leftover body shells from various activities, sometimes cut up or about to be.

Level 4: This leaves the GTJ1300 step nose cars which tend to be converted to something like the~1990's cultural cars. Some times these are made to look like the GT Veloce 1600

I see the GTA tribute cars emerging from any of the four levels, but mainly from level three cars, as only inner steel framing needs to be repaired, as you will be re skinning it in aluminum anyway. Once level 3 cars dry up I see level 2 cars been used, but they will be more costly to acquire.

So my point Shane don't ask 'Is it worth the effort ?' The question we should be asking 'can the car survive from the abyss of level 3 cars' into say a GTA tribute car (or GTAm tribute car:for PSK).

Steve

·
Administrator
14,305 Posts
Please donate all removed steel panels to your local club

Personally, not worth the effort and constant "yes it is a replica" bollocks. Fibreglass I'd do because then it obviously is not a real GTA ... and I'm a big fan of fiberglass
Pete

·
Registered
544 Posts
Please donate all removed steel panels to your local club

Personally, not worth the effort and constant "yes it is a replica" bollocks. Fibreglass I'd do because then it obviously is not a real GTA ... and I'm a big fan of fiberglass
Pete
Don’t forget the GTAP !

·
Administrator
14,305 Posts
There are plenty of panels available new on the market.
You can give the panels you remove to create your GTA tribute car to who ever you like.
I have no issue with enthusiasts restoring a car, and I have no issue with enthusiasts building a GTA tribute car or any other tribute car. 1953 Alfa Romeo 1900 Speciale (Sixties re-creation)
Regards Steve
Not everybody Steve, is rich and can afford to buy new reproduction panels; and isn't it better that these original panels are not wasted.

That's all I'm saying. Not making any comments on building replicas
Pete

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I gave up the idea of using aluminum panels. As advice by you guys and the workshop who is handling the project, it is probably not worth the effort and money. But the car will still go into a bare metal rebuilt and GTA look.

But the more I look, the more confused I get. I cannot tell the difference on the wheel arc:LOL: what (where) exactly is the difference?

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I looked through the thread and do not see where you have identified the exact 1600 GT you have. 1600 Giulia Sprint GT, 1600 Giulia sprint GT Veloce, 1600 GT junior, a 1300 GTj with 1600 motor???? step nose, smooth nose?? And why no pictures, and the serial number here.

So I too am confused. Post a side view picture and someone will tell which wheel arch you have.

I googled, alfabb gt wheel arch difference and got this

GT & GTV fender arches

and there is more

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
The minimum you have to do for a GTA Tribute is, starting with a step nose, a GTA centre heart and grill mesh, oval vents with mesh below, GTA door handles, GTA steering wheel, gta wheels and paint it 501 Alfa Red or the correct GTA white.

From there you can get or modify, with bolt ons, to correct dash, seats and upholstery, head liner, bumpers, Aluminum Trunk (boot) lid, aluminum door skins, plastic side windows, alu hood, Alu licence light plinth.

Under the hood move the fuse box, and add other GTA items such as GTA oil cap, catch tank, Radiator, oil cooler.
what did I forget??

Most parts I have listed are available in Reproduction so no need to deplete the real GTA stock of parts.

Ken

Reactions: brad fischer

·
Administrator
14,305 Posts
The minimum you have to do for a GTA Tribute is, starting with a step nose, a GTA centre heart and grill mesh, oval vents with mesh below, GTA door handles, GTA steering wheel, gta wheels and paint it 501 Alfa Red or the correct GTA white.

From there you can get or modify, with bolt ons, to correct dash, seats and upholstery, head liner, bumpers, Aluminum Trunk (boot) lid, aluminum door skins, plastic side windows, alu hood, Alu licence light plinth.

Ken
A lot of people make all steel tributes, I.e. steel doors, trunk/boot lid and bonnet. Very common, and all cool.
Pete

Reactions: kengta
1 - 20 of 39 Posts