Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
Why not get a fiberglass one? About the same as that pos on flee bay. Can be had with original looking inner structure if that’s what you care about?

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
The one on E-Bay is a typical "throw away" .. aluminum/steel edges are GONE.. electrolysis... Ask me how I know. I restored a Giulietta SZ and those parts ended up in the salvage heap and replacing them was a very easy proposition and CHEAP with anyone who knew anything about an English wheel. Easier than working a steel skin. My guy replaced all lids and door skins in very short order....Alloy skins are much easier to fix than monocoque steel.cars. It's no mystery why it is a cottage industry when made new.

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
The other interesting difference in alloy bodies... we cut out the rot on the skin and gas welded new alloy where needed. My car was about 50% orgiinal skin and 50% new .cut san stitch not the usual TIg weld spots in a row. worrying about warpage. .We stripped my car of all Alloy, dipped the chassis and started from scratch .. The bill was nutty cheap PAINTED... The guy who did it made a living out of building Cobras from scratch so this was a walk in the park. and I was lucky to find him from an airport car magazine. Car is now in TN and has had two owners . it was at the KC AROC National Convention in the 90's .. I sold it to retire.. Now I could retire a little more comfortably. but I'll make it with the gains on the crumbs .

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Enjoyed my ride in that car, Uncle Rick! Even though my neck was cramped for a week!

The one on E-Bay is a typical "throw away" .. aluminum/steel edges are GONE.. electrolysis... Ask me how I know. I restored a Giulietta SZ and those parts ended up in the salvage heap and replacing them was a very easy proposition and CHEAP with anyone who knew anything about an English wheel. Easier than working a steel skin. My guy replaced all lids and door skins in very short order....Alloy skins are much easier to fix than monocoque steel.cars. It's no mystery why it is a cottage industry when made new.

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
Enjoyed my ride in that car, Uncle Rick! Even though my neck was cramped for a week!
Yeah.. those are the times that are indelible..and worth the journey with no regrets to sell it... lo 20 years ago. Can you believe I got it for 12 grand and made a "killing" on it? We were like two elephants in a phone booth screaming along in a tin foil drum of sounds not replicated by any Giulietta I have ever been in. Ah, the joys of youth! You missed the time Arno and I shattered the piston rings at about 8 grand...Didin't harm anything but I did get a lot of blow-by. The owner second owner is an octogenarian racer who is paring his collection (some were on BaT) and this one is the one he is keeping. He is really a great guy who loves the car. Keep Colin on the straight and narrow! What is he doing? Running for Governor? Grand uncle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts