Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you all are safe and well from this virus and if you have been stricken my prayers for speedy recovery.
Now for the question at hand. I need some guidance on where to source and purchase an aluminum flywheel ( I can't seem to find one advertised as actually fitting my model) and clutch assembly set. As always i'm open to all suggestions.
Bill

·
Super Moderator
11,579 Posts
Hi Bill, There are several issues with this modification for a 750. The first would be a ring gear correct for your starter. Which starter is on the engine? If you can swap your starter with a 1600 101 or 105 Bosch starter, you need a 105 tooth 1600 ring gear. You also will lose the timing marks that are on the current iron flywheel. Does your car still have it's original tunnel case 4 speed transmission? These issues all might effect using an available aluminum flywheel. It is possible to use a 1600 aluminum flywheel with a split case 5 speed transmission from a 101 or 105 1600 and a 750 1300 block, and relocate timing marks to the front crank pulley.
You might be better off just lightening your existing 750 1300 iron flywheel unless you want to change out starter and transmission to a split case. Most 750 1300's have limited low speed torque to begin with and an aluminum wheel less than 12-15# might make launch in 1st gear an issue on the street. The 750 engines are today more collector car engines, best left as they were built. Some of my customers in Europe race with 750 engines, going to considerable expense to toughen them up for this use with custom made crankshafts, connecting rods pistons, liners, oil pump, 101 Veloce sump and some use 1300 101 heads with 40DCOE2 Webers and more.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gordon, are you saying that there are no aluminium fly wheels made for the 750? I would lighten mine but its damaged. I dont wish to swap out my trans, I want that left stock.If you know of someone who has a lightened iron one or has one they would lighten pleases pass contact.
As always be safe,
Bill

·
Super Moderator
11,579 Posts
Good used 750 iron flywheels are not too hard to find. Contact Dave Brohan, aBB member specializing in 750 restorations. While there are several custom manufacture sources that can build a performance aluminum wheel for your 750, you don't need one for most normal use. The cost would be $600 or more depending on ring gear which is excessive for your application. You might try sourcing a good used one from APE (Alfa Parts Exchange) in California. Originals will have all the timing marks in place. If you wish your iron 750 replacement lightened, another BB member, Alfar7, Richard Jemison lightens Iron wheels. You should advise him NOT to machine off the timing marks for your application!
Need more? Let me know.
<[email protected]>
Best, Gordon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts