Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several on the market, and while blasting makes for a sexy look, I have concerns regarding removing surface and opening pores. An old block has oxidized of course, but has a "stable" layer. After manual cleaning to remove grease with Simple Green/Purple Power, extreme deposits I use lacquer thinner. Extreme Simple Green Aircraft and Precision is approved for use by Boeing for regular aircraft maintenance, might try it. I am still working on the cleanup. I put small parts in my ultrasonic cleaner with Simple Green and a bit of Dawn with good results. Aluminum cleaners being acid based concern me a bit, but seem to have popularity here on the forum and on the net.

This one is popular with the marine crowd around me. Quality Chemical Company - Aluminum Cleaner & Brightener and you can get this product as well as many others on Amazon. Has high approval on Amazon.

I am a professional brewer, so using acids for cleaning, and at high concentrations and heat for passivation is everyday stuff. SS loves that of course restoring the chromium oxide layer and a brilliant surface.

So any thoughts input is appreciated. Not doing concourse but want a clean surface, and that alloy look we all love.

Cheers, S

·
Registered
1988 Alfa Romeo Spider EV conversion in the works
238 Posts
I have used the marine cleaners on Alfa aluminum cases (Differential and Transmission) with excellent results. Be sure to psot treat tnhe surface per the instructions. Usually a good water rinse is all that is required. Results have lasted for several years. I have also used the same product on motorcycle engine cases with fantastic results.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, Simple Green Aircraft & Precision is fantastic...Boeing approved and I can tell why. In my ultrasonic cleaner parts come out pure aluminum finish.

Cheers, S

1 - 3 of 3 Posts