Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Lightweights and Confortavoles (I believe) there is an aluminium semi-circular section (8mm on the base and 4mm high) which runs across the dash, over the door cards and over the rear three quarter panels. It might even go across the rear panel too. I estimate that there is probably over 3M of this, now unobtainable, section per car. Later cars appear to have a chrome section.
I need some of the aluminium lenghts and I am thinking of having a limited run extruded. Is there any interest?
Alternatively has anyone got an unwanted length they wish to sell.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Dear Stuart,
My SV #1493*E06559 has the chromed brass above the door cards and across the dash, but it has aluminum bead at the tops of the doorcaps, inside and out.
You will be happy to know that I have a round glob of black I owe you. Do you want to come over and collect it next month, or to have me ship it? I look forward to seeing you guys,
Laurence

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So that's another theory down the drain! The aluminium section must be for the Lightweights only which narrows the market somewhat.
Re round glob of black....I will pick up in November if that's OK.... many thanks.

·
Administrator
4,188 Posts
Hello Stuart

I'll be at the garage tomorrow & will check what's on my SV Confortevole 1493*E06193 and let you know

Regards
Greig

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Greig.....hows the car coming on?

·
Administrator
4,188 Posts
The '57 Spider & '61 Ti have taken priority over the '58 Veloce............funny how that happens during a restoration

Ciao
Greig

·
Administrator
4,188 Posts
Hi Stuart

My SV Confortevole E06193 has chrome on brass trim, with aluminium pieces where the glass enters the door, same as Laurence's E06559 & the same as my two '57 Normale's

The alloy section must be for Lightweights only - if you can get a length of 8mm aluminium rod, can you not have it water-jet cut down the length to a half round ??

Just a thought

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eric, Thank you for that....Capalex is the firm in the UK that I have been dealing with but the real problem is that for a short run the price per metre is very high. If there are others who may need this section then the price drops amazingly.
Whilst the original section is hollow, there would have to be some machining to the solid half-round to allow for fixings.....but that is a problem down the line.

·
Registered
9,155 Posts
Stuart, as you probably know the section you are looking for is common on all the Zagato cars of the day like SZ's and Double bubbles, just to mention two. I would contact Galbiati in Italy and ask them to source out this stuff for you. It can't be any more expensive than your current sourcing and probably most accurate. As I recall it was used as a trim piece on the dash of my SZ and the glove box door and was incorporated with a pin as the hinge for the door either side of the door.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wonderful, thank you, I have just checked with my SZ and you are absolutely correct. Galbiati here I come.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
However, Mr Galbiati appears not to be in business! Anybody have a contact for him? Thanks

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi Stuart,

Don't no if this information is correct, but I read here in another part of the Forum that Galbiati sold his company (located in the old Zagato factory in Rho) a few years back to this guys:

Carrozzeria Touring Superleggera owned By Paul Koot (Zeta, Touring & Borrani)

Mario Galbiati moved back to Via Monte Nero 0, 20010 Bareggio but not sure if he is still in Business

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Eric and Uncle....thank you so much for the information......I am on the case and will keep you informed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts