Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am looking for a aluminum radiator for my 71 GTV. Can anyone
point me in a direction other than the typical Alfa sources that is more cost effective, possibly a universal radiator or from another car that fits. I measured 18"by18" overall dimensions. Any leads are appreciated

Christof

·
Registered
96 Posts
Radiator

Hello

I am looking for a aluminum radiator for my 71 GTV. Can anyone
point me in a direction other than the typical Alfa sources that is more cost effective, possibly a universal radiator or from another car that fits. I measured 18"by18" overall dimensions. Any leads are appreciated

Christof
I know you already said "other than the typical sources", but I have done a fair amount of looking for this myself for my 71 GT, and the challenge is not just cost effective, but good quality also. A friend of my mine got the one from Wes Ingram and I think it's an excellent value at $650. It has a unique integrated oil cooler, and the quality looks amazing.
I have seen some guys I know go the custom route and end up with sketchy quality and even leaks, although some have done alright. However, they only saved about $100 on the price of the Ingram one. I am relatively new to the LA area, so I don't know if there is a well respected shop around to produce one. I can't imagine there isn't, but for an aluminum one, I doubt it would be much cheaper for good quality.
Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
10,612 Posts
I am relatively new to the LA area, so I don't know if there is a well respected shop around to produce one.
One experienced radiator fabricator here is Mattsons Custom Radiator in Stanton. See: Mattsons Inc Custom Radiator

Note that this is Mattson's Custom Radiator - not the old Mattson's Radiator shop on Beach Blvd. The proprietor of this shop is the son of the founder of the place on Beach.

·
Registered
96 Posts
One experienced radiator fabricator here is Mattsons Custom Radiator in Stanton. See: Mattsons Inc Custom Radiator

Note that this is Mattson's Custom Radiator - not the old Mattson's Radiator shop on Beach Blvd. The proprietor of this shop is the son of the founder of the place on Beach.
Ahh, The Fan Man!
I am familiar, and bought a few electric fans from him. Very knowledgable about cooling systems, and excellent pricing on Spal electric fans.

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
X2 for the Ingram radiator; it is very high quality fabrication. However, as mentioned, this does come with an integral oil cooler and it may not make sense if you don't want this feature. I did, am very pleased, and also added a remote oil filter location. Wes recommended "push lock" hoses and fittings that do not use any hose clamps. NOT my favorite item after struggling with installation. The Ingram radiator requires a different upper hose, and my installation also required installing a different radiator overflow tank.

I know you already said "other than the typical sources", but I have done a fair amount of looking for this myself for my 71 GT, and the challenge is not just cost effective, but good quality also. A friend of my mine got the one from Wes Ingram and I think it's an excellent value at $650. It has a unique integrated oil cooler, and the quality looks amazing.
I have seen some guys I know go the custom route and end up with sketchy quality and even leaks, although some have done alright. However, they only saved about $100 on the price of the Ingram one. I am relatively new to the LA area, so I don't know if there is a well respected shop around to produce one. I can't imagine there isn't, but for an aluminum one, I doubt it would be much cheaper for good quality.
Good luck!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,012 Posts
I too have an Ingram radiator. I bought it on advice from George. It is high quality. The only tricky part was the top hose. I used a short length of wire reinforced universal hose. I posted a picture in another thread.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
A good thing...

I too have an Ingram radiator. I bought it on advice from George. It is high quality. The only tricky part was the top hose. I used a short length of wire reinforced universal hose. I posted a picture in another thread.
your motor runs on solid motor mounts and doesn't move while giving it "the beans" ...

Otherwise, that short, stiff hose might stress that soft aluminum radiator and eventually cause a failure. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
Hmmm. See the picture of my (short) top hose in post #9. I have stock motor mounts, but haven't seen any evidence of damage or stress to the aluminum radiator - or any mention of such from Wes. I guess this is a binary issue: 1. The short hose will transmit engine movement to the radiator or 2. It won't.

I'm thinking the plain rubber hose I used is OK, but will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the heads-up...

your motor runs on solid motor mounts and doesn't move while giving it "the beans" ...

Otherwise, that short, stiff hose might stress that soft aluminum radiator and eventually cause a failure. :wink2:

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I went back and forth on the subject of buying an aluminum radiator for my Super, but was always put off by the cost. I finally decided to have my oem radiator re-cored. My local old-school radiator shop actually had specks for Alfas and ordered a 3-row radiator (replacing the stock 2 row) core. This involved using the stock top and bottom tanks. When installed, the top mounted filler-neck proved to be about 1/4in too tall which didn't allow the Super's hood to latch (this may not be a problem with a GTV). Jerry (the radiator guy) was gong to lower the oem position filler neck until I scrounged a spider top tank with a side mounted filler. The dimensions for 105 era top and bottom tanks are the same for spiders, GTVs and Supers so the swap was an easy modification. The total charge for the re-core was $375. Granted, a re-cored stock radiator won't give you the street cred of an aluminum radiator but the copper tubes will dissipate head better than aluminum. My 2 liter hot-rod Super now runs cool, even in Texas summer driving.

·
Premium Member
14,012 Posts
the copper tubes will dissipate head better than aluminum.
From US Radiator
The thermal conductivity or heat transfer rate of copper is 92% versus aluminum which is approximately 49%. However, the copper fin bonded to the tubes, or water passages, using lead solder is very inefficient and slows the heat transfer rate to just slightly better than that of aluminum. This can be a disadvantage of copper if the bonding process does not allow the copper fin to touch the brass tube, and why not all copper/brass cores of similar design, but different manufactures, transfer heat equally.
The difference is marginal. The bore of the tubes in the radiator is likely to be a bigger factor. I hooked up the oil cooler in Wes's radiator and it made a significant difference.

·
Super Moderator
10,612 Posts
My local old-school radiator shop actually had specks for Alfas and ordered a 3-row radiator (replacing the stock 2 row) core. This involved using the stock top and bottom tanks. When installed, the top mounted filler-neck proved to be about 1/4in too tall which didn't allow the Super's hood to latch.
I'd say that those "specks" weren't much help - the shop screwed up if they made the radiator too tall to fit. I have also had shops do the 2 row to 3 row conversion; it's a nice upgrade, but can be done without increasing the height of the radiator. On the other hand, $375 is a great price for re-coring a radiator.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ron Davis Radiators should still have a CAD rendering that they made from a factory original radiator that I sent them several years ago.

I ordered ten of the radiators from them and got them for $300 each. But that was in 2009 so I except they might sell for more in 2018, or maybe even less.

The radiators were dimensional identical to the factory radiator, to better than 0.1mm and work well with an uprated NORD engine. I had them include brackets so that a SPAL low profile puller fan could be installed. Eight years installed in a running car driving circa 40K miles and with the proper coolant mix, I have seen no signs of failure.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I'd say that those "specks" weren't much help - the shop screwed up if they made the radiator too tall to fit. I have also had shops do the 2 row to 3 row conversion; it's a nice upgrade, but can be done without increasing the height of the radiator.
Not necessarily. I saw the reference the owner was using which mentioned a "Giulia" without any other elaboration. This is something I've seen before, especially here in the states where TI's and Supers are so uncommon that a reference for a Giulia can mean anything but a TI or Super. But then, I didn't regard the 1/4in interference a screw-up since it was easily fixed. The filler neck could have been easily shortened but I decided to use a spider header tank because of convenience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts