Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The straps of the rear suspension are held in place by 2 bolts that pass through an aluminium block. The question I have is what happens if you replace this aluminium block by a steel block. Aluminium causes corrossion problems when in contact with steel.

I just can't stop thinking that if Alfa engineers used aluminium for this, that they did it because a specific reason. Aluminium is more expensive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Best Guess?

Aluminum is lighter, less expensive, easier to machine.
Weight probably being the best reason.

Make sure there is a good barrier between the two mating surfaces.

Joe

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Reviving an old thread ...

Could someone post exact dimensions of these alloy blocks? My car is undergoing surgery at the rear end at the moment and I'd like to fit a pair of these, as they were missing when I purchased the car and I've never sought to remedy this situation until now. With these dimensions I'll machine a pair and have them hard anodized for corrosion protection.

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Al - block dimensions

Outer dimensions: 110 x 30 x 10 mm
Holes: Ø 10,5 mm distance 84 mm
Slot: 65 x 20 mm, 5 mm deep, radius 7 mm

When installing, slot is on the upper side.
Slot has no real function.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Thanks for posting those details.

I'm actually referring to the style of alloy spacer blocks pictured here. As far as I am aware, this version was the only kind manufactured for early 105 cars, but I'd appreciate any further input about the thickness of these spacers if the car has been lowered a little.

In any case, the plan is to have at least one pair cast locally as they seem to be NLA.

Alex.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,486 Posts
I have a spare pair of those complete assemblies in decent condition. They came off a southern car that probably never saw road salt. Even the screw heads are almost perfect. Let me know if you want any of the parts. They are cheap. I can post pictures if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
When you put shorter sport springs is better to remove those spacers or shold they stay ?
These block have no effect on the cars ride height, they only spread the load applied to the limiting straps. If you've lowered your car, you should also shorten the limiting straps such that if they do what they are suppose to do, in that the springs remain with a little pressure on them. But if your talking about the rubber stops, they should stay in place.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
You're correct. Limiting suspension travel by lowering and allowing the axle to hit the bump stop while cornering results in an infinite spring rate. This means that wheel will loose traction first and give instantaneous oversteer (ask me how I know).

I took mine out when I lowered it so as to get a little more suspension travel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts