Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an84 spider veloce, it started when I bought it. The engine is being rebuilt and as I'm cleaning it up I noticed I don't have an altitude compensator. Do. I need it to run?

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
The early L-Jet Spiders did not have an altitude compensator. Rather, a jumper was to be dealer installed if the vehicle was to be operated at altitudes above 1000 meters or so. Later L-Jets did have an altitude compensator. The change over occurred in or for the 1984 model year. To determine if your Spider came with, or needs, an altitude compensator, look at the last three digits of the Bosch part number on the fuel ECU.

206 = no compensator (jumper if required)
221 = compensator equipped

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
It is located under the side panel cover behind the passengers seat - if you have one installed. You have to take down the carpet on the passengers side behind the seat to find it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know where it's supposed to be, but therein lies the problem, it's not there! Do I have to have it? Since I live in Cleveland, Ohio, I don't think I need it. Do I have to do something to make it run right without one?

·
16,232 Posts
I would think that with a missing, or failed, compensator, that the ECU would use a fixed value for the altitude. Meaning that the engine would run. But I don't know this for certain.
I should have a good used compensator. I'll have a look and get back to you...

·
16,232 Posts
Found one. Sending PM...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts