Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because my electrical skills and abilities are on par with my nuclear submarine power plant overhaul skills I thought I'd post a request for some help. I figure it's better to ask before I fry something up or electrocute some important part. In addition, I haven't received any calls from the Navy for work. I have a rebuilt AL16X alternator (75amp) to replace the original one in my 86 Spider. The top picture is the original and the bottom is the new one. The back of each are close, just a couple of differences. On the original, the heavy gauge wire attached to the B+ lug and the thin gauge green wire attached to the D+ spade. The regulator is located in the same position on each. The big difference is on the original there is an additional black Bosch part with a wire attached to a spade with + mark. Not sure what it is and that's where I need the help. Does anyone know what it is and do I need to remove it from the old alternator and place it on the new one? The other difference is the D+ spade on the new one is located inside a small rectangular well; I figure this has more to do with the difference in the backs and not the connection itself. The other difference is the old one lacked a W spade (10 o'clock position on the new one). If this is a positive lead should it be covered if it is not used? Lastly, any tricks to removing the pulley & fan off the old alternator? Appreciate any help the electrical experts on the board can provide. Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Because my electrical skills and abilities are on par with my nuclear submarine power plant overhaul skills I thought I'd post a request for some help. I figure it's better to ask before I fry something up or electrocute some important part. In addition, I haven't received any calls from the Navy for work. I have a rebuilt AL16X alternator (75amp) to replace the original one in my 86 Spider. The top picture is the original and the bottom is the new one. The back of each are close, just a couple of differences. On the original, the heavy gauge wire attached to the B+ lug and the thin gauge green wire attached to the D+ spade. The regulator is located in the same position on each. The big difference is on the original there is an additional black Bosch part with a wire attached to a spade with + mark. Not sure what it is and that's where I need the help. Does anyone know what it is and do I need to remove it from the old alternator and place it on the new one? The other difference is the D+ spade on the new one is located inside a small rectangular well; I figure this has more to do with the difference in the backs and not the connection itself. The other difference is the old one lacked a W spade (10 o'clock position on the new one). If this is a positive lead should it be covered if it is not used? Lastly, any tricks to removing the pulley & fan off the old alternator? Appreciate any help the electrical experts on the board can provide. Steve
I would believe that "black box" is a capacitor to help any EMI problems the alternator may make-at any rate, remove it from the old alternator and put it on the new one. You may notice, it should fit right in on the new one. B+ is your battery cable, your green wire is the 12V in to feed the windings (alternator is not a permanent magnet type).

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
The Black dude is a capacitor (filter/suppressor) and should be removed and installed on the "rebuilt" unit.

The Alternator shaft has a "key", removal is by the classic way, unscrew, pulley puller..

DIIK what W is.... I'd tend to ignore it. The cooling/dust cover will give you weather shielding enough.

I got my "rebuilt" complete with pulley and fan and capacitor...

Sorry I couldn't help you on the "W", Just make shure that the pulley position is the same dude, if the 75A is thicker, then the pulley will not line up with the water pump etc., I went from 55A to 65A and they were same "thickness".

Best regards, Elio

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks quick post responce & useful information! I think I was headed in the right direction - nice to get second opinions and clarification from the BB- it has saved me heartache more than once.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts