Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, my car was converted to an alternator and I want to return it to a generator. Anyone have a generator for a 2600 in good shape that they want to part with.

I know there are Bosch and Marelli, does it matter which I put in the car?

Thanks

Henry

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Yes, my car was converted to an alternator and I want to return it to a generator. Anyone have a generator for a 2600 in good shape that they want to part with.

I know there are Bosch and Marelli, does it matter which I put in the car?

Thanks

Henry
Functionally, Bosch and Marelli generators are the same. However, as per my post in the Yahoo newsgroup of June, 2003 (quoted below), I do think the generators are insufficient for 2600 cars:

Re: Marelli generator advice, please

Pete,

Erik's message mentions a couple of important points that indicate the issue is the design of the electrical system and not a specific problem with his car. He says that "as I turn the lights etc on, the voltage drops to 12V, and the battery discharges eventually" and "the generator's max output, ca 22A, is only just enough to supply the ignition, lights and fan."

I believe both of his his statements are correct. Let's do some basic math, for driving WITH HEADLIGHTS ON HIGH BEAM (using wattages for the light bulbs from the Operator's manual):

Code:
                          +-------+---------+---------+---------+
                          |  Qty  |  Watts  |  Tot W  |   Amps  |
+-------------------------+-------+---------+---------+---------+
| Headlamp bulbs, outer   |   2   |    40   |    80   |    6.7  |
| Headlamp bulbs, inner   |   2   |    45   |    90   |    7.5  |
| Parking lights, front   |   2   |     5   |    10   |    0.8  |
| Rear lights             |   2   |     5   |    10   |    0.8  |
| License Plate light     |   2   |     5   |    10   |    0.8  |
| Instrument lights       |   4   |     2.5 |    10   |    0.8  |
| Ignition Coil           |   1   |    30   |    30   |    2.5  |
| Fuel Pump               |   1   |    20   |    20   |    1.7  |
| Temp & fuel gauge, etc. |   1   |     5   |     5   |    0.4  |
| Ventilator              |   1   |    15   |    15   |    1.3  |
                                            |   280   |   23.3  |
                                            +=========+=========+
With the high beam on, the current drawn is in excess of what the generator can deliver. It gets worse. If we add some gizmo...

Use a period correct radio: add another 15 watts (1.3 Amps).
Use windshield wipers: add another 25 Watts (2.1 Amps).
Change Headlights to H4 lights: add another 40 Watts (3.3 Amps).

... we end up with a consumption of about 30 Amps. This means the battery drains at a rate of about 8 Amps per hour and a battery with a capacity of 50 Amp hours will drain completely in just over 6 hours.

With the high beam and gizmo off, the current drawn drops to about 16 Amps, which may be just about enough for the generator to produce enough voltage to charge the battery (charging the battery requires at least 13.2 Volts). This is consistent with the point Erik made.

Now, to put this in perspective: 1 horse power = 736 Watts. In other words, the generator delivers roughly 1/3 horse power. That was a lot at a time when many other cars had 6 Volt systems only. We've grown accustomed to an abundancre of power: Today, most modern car stereos consume about the amount of power that this generator could deliver then -- some consume even more.

Alternator, anyone?

Ruedi
So, my question would be: Why would you want to rip out an alternator and replace it with an insufficient generator? If I'd be judging the car at a concours, I would not deduct any points for the alternator as I see it as a safety improvement.

I do have a Marelli generator I can part with (but not the regulator that is installed on the bracket in front of the steering box -- but a friend of mine may have one in his parts car). Let me know if you're still interested.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Ruedi,

Greetings! Is there any chance you have a spare dashboard knob set (4 pcs) and indicator turn signals set for a 2600 SZ?

Regards,
Danny

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, my question would be: Why would you want to rip out an alternator and replace it with an insufficient generator? If I'd be judging the car at a concours, I would not deduct any points for the alternator as I see it as a safety improvement

That´s an excelent question Ruedi, my original tought was that I wanted a more original look, but after reading your post above, I don't think it makes any sense at all.

Thanks

Henry

·
Registered
812 Posts
I just saw an article in a recent "Classic and Sportscar" magazine about a company in the UK that has come up with an alternator conversion that looks like a generator. It is all based on Lucas stuff instead of Marelli or Bosch, but given the amount of Girling stuff on our cars it would not be violating the spirit of things.

Since Ruedi mentioned concours judging, just as a matter of information, the AROC-USA Concours Manual would dictate a one half point deduction (out of 100 total points) for either an alternator/generator conversion or a non-stock style generator. Not a big issue in the overall scheme of things.

Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Concours Chair
1961 2000 Spider

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Arno, that is a good tip, I'll look for the ad in Classic and Sportscar.

I'm not interested in concours judging, just in original look so this would work great

Thanks

·
Registered
781 Posts
Henry,
Alternators were factory optional on the 2600s.
Go with the alternator. These cars need hotter sparks and better charging.
Get an electronic ignition while you are at it.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Henry,
Alternators were factory optional on the 2600s.
Go with the alternator. These cars need hotter sparks and better charging.
I've never seen any documentation that would support the claim of the factory option. If this option existed, it would only have been for Series 2 cars (1964 onward). It is true however, that the 2600 SZ used a 35 Amp alternator (same as 105 GT Junior, etc.). If I remember correctly, there is also a service bulletin from about 1967 that talks about generator to alternator conversions in general terms (i.e. applicable to all Alfas).

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Henry,

Would you recommend one please, these things are hard to find in Mexico and if I know exactly what I'm looking for it's easier, would Pertronix make something to fit inside the distributor so that it looks stock?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Would you recommend one please, these things are hard to find in Mexico and if I know exactly what I'm looking for it's easier, would Pertronix make something to fit inside the distributor so that it looks stock?

Thanks
123 Ignitions now offers a model for 2600 (see dealer page here). Haven't used it myself yet but heard good things about it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The Pertronix units that were bought in a batch awhile back and distributed were for the Marelli distributors. They will not fit the Bosch units. Beware of your application.

This 123 product looks great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts