Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I thought I'd ask the 102 braintrust if they'd had any experience in replacing the Magneti Marelli DN44F Dynamo we have on our 102 engines?

I'm happy with either a Dynalite version or if there's simply a better/ alternative Dynamo to the Marelli that fits? Perhaps there's Bosch replacement?

I'm looking into it for my Sprint and I suspect the problem I'll have is finding a model with the right sizing to fit to the block and maintain a 'straight' fan belt.

Any advice?

Marc

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Dynator

Marc

An alternator was fitted to the 2600 sprint and if you have a cardisc manual the supplement listing the alternato type is in there

Also search old threads for alternative alternators used

Another approach is a dynator

See

Applications - WOSPerformance

This is a high power racing alternator disguised as a dynamo

I used WOSP to build a custom geared starter for my Spider and it works fine - i have started a post on this. WOSP are only in Aylesbury very friendly and happy to help

From their website :

As well as our range of alternators we are now producing a range of alternators disguised as dynamos. Our WOSP DYNATOR’s!

We are currently manufacturing these in a range of designs including the most common Lucas units – C39, C40, C40L, C42 & C45. We are also more than capable of copying an original dynamo which we do not currently manufacture and producing a custom dynator.

These units are direct replacements and keep the classic appearance by using the original wires already in place. You simply have to by-pass the bulkhead mounted regulator box. All the units are manufactured in-house from billet aluminium and we incorporate our light-weight 50amp race alternators inside more than doubling the output of the original item in most cases!

We also manufacture these to suit applications such as Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Willys, AC, Delahaye, Chevrolet and Lancia.

As with any of our alternators, for an additional charge we can convert them to +ve earth so fitting an ‘alternator’ on your classic no longer requires you to swap the polarity. Keep the vehicle original and enjoy the benefits!

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you Ian, will give them a call.

I'm hoping to have some news soon on the development of a bespoke 102 series Dynalite conversion. I'm chatting with a well known Alfa parts dealer who is prepared to work up a prototype, to then take into production for us. Fingers crossed this works out.

In the meantime, should anyone wish to use a modern alternator in their 102, there really aren't that many that'll fit/ align correctly, but from my research the best one to go for would seem to be this one:

This lightweight and small Alternator will fit the 102 block and assembly (with a couple of washers to space it correctly). It's excellent, and very lightweight. A plug-n-play with the normal (simple) re-route of the field-wire and warning light wire in the Control box/Regulator. Price is GBP £222 inc VAT + shipping. From Race Mettled

Will report back on the 102 Dynalite soon...

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
DYNA's

I would not be surprised if a DYNATOR is the same as a DYNALITE . All roads lead to Rome as they say. But some have a dealers mark-up!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For sure.

I think most of these things are made by PowerLite and bodied to suit the application.
They're pretty tight on their stockist support too.

Either way, I hope my conversations with them all will be able to sort us a fair priced 102 bespoke module. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Trying to find a Marelli DN44F or alternative

Hi Marc - I know this thread dried up quite a while ago. But it turns out I need to find a dynamo for 102 spider since the one I have doesn't fit (it's a Bosch unit and seems to be from a 105 Giulia or Duetto). Did you ever figure out if an alternative exists for the Marelli DN44F, assuming that I can't find an original.

Many thanks

Richard

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 2000 Touring Spider from January 1959
311 Posts
Dynamo originale..

I bought some stuff from Luca in Italy. He is a very good person to do business with. He has a MM Dynamo listed on his site:

ALFA ROMEO 2000 touring

Hope this helps!

Gr., Pieter

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had mine rebuilt in the end.

I was talking with Classic Alfa who were interested in commissioning a Dynalite.
I supplied them with the casing dimensions and drawings of mine and from the technical docs I found on my 102 owners DVD. To which they would install an alternator within and keep the original pulley/ look and feel.

You might find they have now completed this?

As far as I could tell there was no other variant to drop in, so if you don't have an original casing/ model to rebuild you'd need to fashion a bespoke support and use either a 106 or other Alternator. I may be out of date on this and others on this forum may know of a better soloution.

Marc

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Dynamator

High Power 45 Amp Dynamator Alternator Dynamo MG Morris Austin Triumph Etc | eBay

I purchased this and made a special bolt setup. I can't post pictures just now, but there is a problem with the rear of the dynamator just "kissing" the front of the oil filter.

I dislike the 1600 oil cannister setup (messy) so I was always planning on getting the Alfaholics remote adapter which will solve that problem.

The Alfaholics dynamator may be slightly more compact and not touch.

Adapting the "Lucas" was a simple matter of heading over to ACE hardware for some metric bolt hardware and a bit of thought.
I may make my own kit and market it, just for fun. The benefit of the Alfaholics units, as always, is they work out the kinks for y'all, but my car is my hobby, so I enjoy the challenge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts