Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I touch the lead with 12 volts.

Once I start my Verde, the alternator does not seem to begin recharging. Testing the battery shows 12-12.5. It is only after I connect an alligator clip to the positive post, and touch the alternator lead can I "hear" it kick in and volts are up to 13.5 - 15.:confused:

As there an alternator light somewhere I'm missing? What else signals the alternator to start charging?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
there is a light on the dashboard, marked "generat" i think, which lights up befor starting the engine and goes out if the alt is charging. if it burns out, or the wireing is bad, the alternator will not charge.
cliff

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
In the Bosch system, the size of the charge warning lamp bulb is critical. Too low a wattage bulb will not supply enough field current for "bootstrap" operation to be reliable. The Bosch book that I have states that the lamps must be at least 2 watts for 12 volt systems. If you have replaced your charge warning lamp recently, then too small a lamp may be your culprit.
Who'da thunk it.

I wonder if that's relative to some of the other folks who get the glowing light til they rap the throttle once to wake up the alternator.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
papajam said:
I posted on this BB a few years
Sure, rub it in. I've only been here about 19 months and haven't even gotten through people's current posts. :D

lowmileage said:
I thought you knew everything
Yeah, don't I wish.

Actually the only thing I want to know everything about is next weeks winning lottery ticket numbers. ;)

hehe

·
Registered
5 Posts
But, where is the problem if the alternator light is on when the engine is not running, but off when the engine is running? I have checked all green wire connections and replaced the voltage regulator on my "86 spider's rebuilt Bosch alternator but haven't cured the problem.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
But, where is the problem if the alternator light is on when the engine is not running, but off when the engine is running?
That's not a problem, that's what it's supposed to do.

Engine not running = no alternator output = light on telling you that the charging system isn't functioning, which it isn't because the engine isn't running and turning the alternator pulley.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, your alternator light stays on continuously when the car is parked with the key out of the ignition? I have never had any other car do this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts