Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The alternator on my Australian sold 1969 GTV 1750 is below. Is shows "Bosch Australia" for some reason. I have no idea if it is original to the car. Further, I can't see any capacitor (for radio noise filtering) or a VR component on the rear? What am I missing?
IMG_20200513_175022.jpg

·
Premium Member
21,688 Posts
Yes, the VR for an original is a small square alum box with a three-wire plug going to it. Should be nearby. This doesn't appear to be a single-wire alternator with internal regulator.

Did Australia have any local-sourcing of components in building Alfas? I wouldn't think so, I think that was only South Africa. So the Bosch Australia is probably a later fitment.

They're taking a lot of 12V off that connection there. That seems non-stock. Normally the 12V for the various circuits comes off the fuse box, not the alternator. Car has maybe been rewired to an extent?

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
They're taking a lot of 12V off that connection there. That seems non-stock. Normally the 12V for the various circuits comes off the fuse box, not the alternator. Car has maybe been rewired to an extent?
Definitely looks like someone has played with the wiring; those yellow-colored terminals don't look like something the factory would use.

But is this alternator internally-regulated? I can't make out how many wires come out of that off-white, nylon connector on the right side of the photo. I can see one green wire - that probably goes to the warning light. But are there any other wires coming out of that connector? If the green wire is the only one, then the regulator is probably internal. If there are two other wires (a total of three) then that harness probably leads to the external regulator.

Still, I agree that this isn't the sort of internally-regulated Bosch alternator that I am used to seeing. Those typically have a regulator-brush assembly on the back, like the one pictured below:

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Many thanks. A personal dislike is coloured crimp-on connectors. They will go. Correct Brad, the VR is where it should be (RE57 Bosch). Most of the car wiring is original but there seem to be a lot of 12V sources from the Alternator. On the LHS inner fender a series of protective relays have been added by a PO for the ignition switch, horn, etc., and these could be the extra ones to the alternator . The Yellow plug has 2 wires - a green and black?

I could also see no suppressor/capacitor for the radio?? Which terminal would be used for a suppressor?

The diagram seems to support the current wiring.

alternator wiring.png

1 - 5 of 5 Posts