Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The alternator that I am installing (remanufactured) is missing a small square part that is held with one small screw and has a cable with a female connector that plugs into a + spade connector on the alternator.

This small Bosch component has the P/N 0296800 (22uF/100-V)

What is the purpose for this component?

Hopefully I can buy a new component at the local Autozone because I don't want to take a chance for the old part to be bad.

Can someone please tell me the function for this part, and how important is to the proper alternator function?

Thank you, Gilles

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
G'Day Gilles,

What is the purpose for this component?
It's a capacitor (more commonly known as a condensor in automotive circles).

Hopefully I can buy a new component at the local Autozone because I don't want to take a chance for the old part to be bad.
Shouldn't be a problem, they're used on every car not just Alfa's.

Can someone please tell me the function for this part, and how important is to the proper alternator function?
They are there to suppress electrical noise, you will hear a whining noise from your radio without it, that's all. The alternator does not need it to function.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool

Craig,

The autoparts store didn't have anything (for any car), it seems that they only carry complete alternators.

If I end having noise on the radio then I will try to find another noise supressor, however it's nice to know that the alternator will work without it.

Thank you for the information!

Regards, Gilles

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
If it is a simple capacitor just use the one from the old alternator.
Jes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts