Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to anyone reading. I am currently looking to replace the alternator belt on my '88 Milano Verde 3.0 and I am not very handy under the hood, but I want to do this on my own and I've spent time looking for videos or guides and haven't found much. If anyone could supply a link to a "how to" or any other guide, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Jon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If your car is like mine (also an '88 Verde 3.0), you have to remove the belt for the air conditioning compressor and the belt for the power steering pump before you can get to the belt for the alternator. I'm replacing the alternator at the moment and am trying to decide if I want to mess with the compressor to replace the belt. It is probably a good idea since I have the power steering pump out of the way. I don't know of any videos but I have searched these boards but not found any specific tips with the alternator/belt removal/replacement.

·
Premium Member
15,865 Posts
If you want to enjoy these old cars, you need to be either a natural wrencher, or buy the workshop manual, either in paper form, or the cd. That way you stand a good chance of keeping them in top condition. I use both versions of the manual depending on what I have to do. In fact, I have always bought the manual for every Alfa model I have ever owned, just to be safe.

To start, look down at the front of the engine, and you can see just how the alternator and steering pump on the driver's side are mounted, and how the belts run. It's not complicated. You can loosen the various bolts holding these components in place and make the belts loose enough to remove and install new ones. Take some time to study the arrangement before reaching for the wrenches and sockets, but it's not difficult if you've thought through the process. You've got nothing to lose by fiddling with the fasteners, and nothing to wreck as long as you keep track of how you loosened things so that you can put it back to how you found it. That's how you learn. Take pictures as you work if your memory is like mine, lol.

Looking in my manual, It looks like you will have to remove the steering pump and a/c pump belts to get to the alternator belt, as mentioned above. By loosening the three bolts in the bracket atop the alt and steering pump, you can loosen the steering pump and swing it to loosen and remove the belt. Same for loosening the alt belt. I think there is also a bottom bolt you will have to loosen. You will also have to remove the a/c pump (on the rider's side) belt by loosening the small idler pulley bolt just to the left of the crankshaft pulley. Just loosen that bolt just a little, and the pulley will slide up enough so that the belt can be removed. For all of the above, I don't think you have to remove and bolts, just loosen.

Now you can remove and replace the alt belt. Reassemble everything in the reverse order. All the belts should be tightened so that in the longest clear span, the belt can be pushed about 1/2 inch slack. Not all that critical, as long as you are close, but don't overtighten. That just increases wear on the bearings of the components, including the water pump. Did I mention that having small hands helps.

If I have something wrong in this description, others will chime in quickly to correct me, lol.

You will find that you may have to buy more tools ( I recommend Sears Craftsman, as they are great quality for the price, guaranteed for life, and made in the USA, but Harbor Freight are ok and less expensive). A good thing, as then you will be more inclined to do more of this fiddling around, right?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts