Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'm not sure .......................
Whats the other side look like??
You may have descovered a whole new design for auto belts.

·
Registered
1975 Spider
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My camera is broken, so I can’t take a pic. Someone else took it.

Are the ribs suppose to be exposed? I always thought if the belt had ribs, it was suppose to be inside, making contact with the pulleys.

Also, it looks like a nut is missing. I had a reputable Alfa mechanic change my alternator per his advice. He said the nut must of fallen off.

·
Premium Member
1973 2000GTV, 1993 Spider Veloce , 1962 250 GTE
60 Posts
I agree. Nut is missing. I don’t think the belt has ribs on both sides? Do those exist?

I’m sick in bed, when I feel better I’ll take a close look at the belt.
Re the picture you posted, is this how the "reputable Alfa mechanic" gave you the car after alternator replacement? If so, run don't walk away from this guy.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
It could be a double cogged V-belt. Not commonly used in the auto world. OP to shed more info.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Believe it or not but there are belts like that which look installed inverted. When I bought my car it had one and freaked me out and I drove it for years. Check out Dayco 15325 which is listed for the alternator on our cars. I can't see how an inverted belt would ever even seat properly on the pulley. But I agree that based on the look of it, one would think it look inside out, including me if I didn't see it for myself.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
18,626 Posts
Inverted. The teeth are there so that the belt will wrap around pulleys and yet provide full side friction contact in the pulley flanges.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts