Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all....i've just acquired an 88 spider quadrifoglio...i'm new to these cars and need a little assistance....i need to change the alternator belt (its squealin' like hell), but cant seem to get any access to remove the ac belt without removing the radiator...the fan is butchering my hands when trying to reach in there...id like to avoid removing the radiator as this would require flushing/ draining it....any helpful hints????

thanks
sam

·
Administrator
17,370 Posts
You may need to remove just the shroud. Remove the four bolts or nuts holding the shroud to the radiator, slide it back over the fan blades. Then remove the four or five bolts holding the fan to the water pump. Remove the fan & shroud.

The A/C belt is removed by removing the outer half of the drive pulley (on the crankshaft). There may be some shims between the pulley halfs - they are used to adjust the tension of the A/C belt -so keep track of them.

If you have hex head bolts on the A/C pulley you might be able to remove them without removing the radiator. If you have allen head bolts you may need a short hex drive to get them out without removing the radiator.

Perhaps this is a sign to service the cooling system...?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eric! you're a genius!...i can't believe i didnt recognize he obvious....i'll try that today....thanks for your quick response....thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eric...tried it out yesterday, it looks like i'll need a set of offset neck wrenches to get accesss to the fan bolts....there is a "lip" around the base of the fan that i need to clear....and i only have about 3/4" to work with....otherwise, i might have to remove the radiator

i don't think we need to revoke your genius license just yet....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts