Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... what is the trick to loosening the Alternator?

I am changing the serpentine belt and want to change the Alt belt too. I have removed the Serp Belt, airbox and still can't get a tool in there to save my life ...front side or back. The top bolt on the alt is loose but it still won't budge.

What is the trick? :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
Did you loosen the big bolt located at around 7 o'clock?

19 mm IIRC

Vin

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Bolt number 3 is my problem. Can't get a racket on it with any leverage. And the wrench hits the inner fender. Do you use some kind of "shorty" wrench?

...lol... I mean ratchet. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Try Underneath??

Bolt number 3 is my problem. Can't get a racket on it with any leverage. And the wrench hits the inner fender. Do you use some kind of "shorty" wrench?

...lol... I mean ratchet. :)
I got mine (Bolt # 3) with a regular ratchet / socket but I thought I mighta snapped it off since it wouldn't torque down after...I was told that there's a nut behind that's accessed from up top when the airbox is removed. I haven't gone there yet, as I must replace my belt first; tightening didn't do the trick for me...I'm a big guy but I have small hands and you know what that means...:D

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Open ended wrench slipped behind belt onto on fixture #3 on the radiator side, ratchet with extension and proper socket on the nut for fixture #3 on the back side of the alternator.

Basically hold the front and reach in with the extension to the back and your 'swing room' is determined by the inner fender and exhaust manifold and a bit more can be had by working the open end wrench at the same time as the ratchet.

·
Administrator
17,779 Posts
I wasn't sure if the 'serpentine belt' models differed from the earlier models. If the alternator attachments/adjustments are like those shown in the sketch above, then there are (or should be) two nuts at the other end of bolt #3. When reaching in/behind the alternator be careful not to touch your wrench against the red wire's terminal on the end of the alternator. That can make big sparks! (disconnecting the battery will eliminate that risk)

Bolt #3 does not need to be snugged up super tight. Tight enough to eliminate slop but still allowing the alternator to pivot is all it needs. That is the likely reason for the double nuts - tighten nut #1 to just right then tighten nut #2 against nut #1 to lock it in place. If it is missing nut #2 and you want to do it right, look for a 'jam nut' (thinner than a regular nut so it'll fit on the bolt).

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info. I think I have to go buy another set of wrenches so I can hold the front and back. My ratchet. Binds on the dipstick tube. I will report back with success....I hope, lol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Job Done! :)

And for the record:
- Yes, I zapped myself on the Alternator...then disconnected the battery :-O
- On my '91 Spider:
Bolts 1 & 2 are 13mm
Bolt 3 is 19mm
Bolt 3 is a single nut on the end.

Thanks again for all the fast responses and support!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts