Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd share a recent experience as this task is not as cut and dry a process as it should be. After listening to a squeaky belt at start up too long I decided to tighten it. Accustomed to many other makes I just grabbed a few wrenches and popped the hood. After 20 minutes of head scratching i decided to consult the BB. Found a little info but not as much as I expected nor a cut and dry process as I hoped. Here is what I did (a little less elaborate than some other postings) and so far so good.

Loosened the 4 bolts holding the bracket to the head. Used a socket on upper 2 and a doubled up (open end to box end) box and open end gear wrenches for lower 2.

With as tight as it is in there I just knew there had to be something around for me to pry against to move alternator to tighten belt. Looked at the obvious front side but couldn't get anything with any length in there. moved to back side. Used another box end wrench and slide it between ac compressor and alternator. Essentially prying off the ac compressor. Didn't take much pressure actually to get acceptable tension. Almost worried it was too tight but i was not about to redo it.

Did the old blind reach around and tightened the top pivot bolt and one of the other lower ones. Now alternator secured. Tightened the rest but not so fast. As mentioned before the lower bolt actually has a nut on the other end. I could feel it but not see it. So i thought. I shined a flashlight from the top of alternator between the little slit of the alternator and bracket and could just make out the nut. did another reach around with a box end wrench and could see enough to place it on the nut.

Reached around to the front again and tightened with the previously used box end gear wrench. Nice and snugg. Stood up stretched back and gave them all another little snug to match palm of hand pressure torque specs.

I should add the bracket holding the lower radiator hose had been cut as well. seems that is kinda typical but some mechanics.

Didn't remove or touch another thing and was done it about 30mins. And to think I almost just put my tools away when I first checked under the hood. figuring I was going to need to clear a Saturday morning.

I hope someone will find this useful.
Clint
Atlanta, GA

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Thought I'd add my very similar observations on this. I have been using one of several items as prybars on the alternator from the passenger side after removing front gravel shield. Loosen the four bolts (three into threaded holds in block, lowest one through alternator support bracket to nut nearer car centerline, as described above). I find that the handle of my small hydraulic jack works great, as does the handle of my 16" long 1/2" drive breaker bar. The handle on my 3/4" drive breaker bar does well, too. I'd bet that a big "pickle fork" for tie-rod ends would work, too. Just wedge any of above into the space between the A/C bracket and alternator bracket and pull with left hand, levering alt bracket forward. Have a 13mm socket on a big enough ratchet head with appropriate extensions to use with right hand (you knew this was coming, no?) to tighten the upper three bolts while holding belt tension with left. Tighten 4th bolt while holding hidden nut, and you're done. As Clint says, it's not terribly time-consuming. Just a nuisance. If you use too narrow a prybar, you'll have it slip loose. The surfaces you'll be prying against are not flat, and the prybar wants to slip off. Can be painful.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I use a 2x4 approach, actually don't remember if it was that exactly or a piece of 5/4 board, but the right length will get you a nice snug belt with the help of a block of wood as a fulcrum and another piece of wood as lever. Since your foot is doing the tensioning the hands are free to tighten the bolts.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts