Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there by now a smaller starter motor that fits on the V6 (possibly gear reduction), or has somebody sorted out a method to convert the original housing and gear to work with a smaller motor?

Regards

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I need a new starter and if there was a compact, modern alternative I'd much rather put that back in.
There definitely is a company who produces a smaller starter motor for the 2.5 and the 3.0. In GB. Can't remember offhand. VERY high quality unit, but pricey. A BB member has one. It sounds really neat when turning over.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Andy at Performatek sells a compact Denso gear reduction that I use.

Greg

·
Registered
284 Posts
HELP!!!

Just purchased GR starter from Vicks. Have tried all weekend to get the thing to index correctly so everything fits. FYI have CSC headers. UGH!

Has anyone installed one of these and can give me a hint as to what I may be missing? I almost think it may be the wrong application for my car...

Many thanks, Derik

·
Premium Member
13,979 Posts
This is better.($$$) I have been running for 3 years without problems. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.
Is it any easier to get in and out than the stock one. Mine occasionally dies for a while when it gets hot, example on a dyno. I dread doing the job with CSC headers.;

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm not sure as I have had no reason to remove it yet.(it went in easy) I have never had an issue with heat/lock up on the track or otherwise.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
You should give Andy at Performatek a call even though you sourced the starter somewhere else. He sent me one of his Denso starters when he was developing it as a product along with a CSC header. As I recall I go his starter to fit with the stock manifolds and the headers that International developed (other suppliers sell the same set, autosport?) but I had an issue with the CSC headers. To get the starter to fit I think we had to dent the header and we modified the starter motor through bolt.
It was a lot of work.

Greg

·
Registered
726 Posts
The best starter is the reduction gear from the Motronic 75 and SZ. Much smaller and lighter than the US starters.

Impossible to find anymore.

·
Premium Member
13,979 Posts
Performatek gear reduction on my 2.5L Chumpcar. Love it! Installation notes below.
Do you have CSC headers? That is the issue here.

·
Premium Member
13,979 Posts
The thread was dormant until post #7.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
gmjohns,

I think I will order the starter you showed. No problems so far? Plug and play? I alreasy tried to order the SZ style starter and got screwed trying to buy the SZ style one, they kept on sending the old junk starter. Sent it back.

·
Registered
359 Posts
gmjohns,

I think I will order the starter you showed. No problems so far? Plug and play? I alreasy tried to order the SZ style starter and got screwed trying to buy the SZ style one, they kept on sending the old junk starter. Sent it back.
No problems. I did have to lose the heat shield but I wrapped the headers in that area (self adhesive type) and I have had no problems. The starter has never failed me. It is really nice, you won't be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Late to the party... but I just ordered a Brise for my 3.5L 24v GTV6 project. Appreciate the info in this thread! With the JimK custom headers, I needed a smaller starter than the more standard 'fat' ones. This one will do just fine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts