Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1981 - 1983 Nissan 280ZX AAV. It works. Idles high at start but after warming up it idles normally.

Normally starts at 1500 RPM when cold. But when its really cold, like 50 degrees or less it starts at 2000 rpm. I had a hard time getting it into reverse at such a high rpm.

I believe the regular Alfa ones keep the rpm close to normal when cold.

Anyone care to share what they bought that worked and what RPM it starts at?

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
How long does it stay on the fast idle? If less than 5 minutes I'd be happy...

To make it easier to shift into reverse (or first) from neutral move the shift lever towards another gear then into reverse (or first). This uses the synchro of the other gear to stop the layshaft from spinning making the shift into reverse (or first) smooth & easy. You don't have to shift all the way into the other gear - just enough to feel the synchro engage the spinning gear.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The warm up time is fine. I wait for 30-60 seconds before driving. It settles down after driving for a few min.

It's the 2000 rpm idle at cold that seems excessively high.

My 2007 Saturn aura idles at 1500 when cold so thathat doesn't bother me to much.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,535 Posts
There is some adjustability in the AAV. If you loosen the nut you'll see the screw is in a slot: you can move the screw to reduce the size of the opening, then lock it down again.

Not sure if it'll be enough to bring the revs down that much, but it's worth a shot before you buy a new one.

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
I haven't had much luck adjusting the vane with that adjuster nut. (here's a look inside an AAV)

Alternatively, perhaps you can put a restrictor inside the hose going to the AAV? Try a small hole and gradually increase it until you get the desired cold idle speed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts