Alfa Romeo Forums banner

121 - 125 of 125 Posts

·
Administrator
16,807 Posts
... the one I left out the rotor button.
I did that with my MGA. After a tune up it would crank & crank but wouldn't start. I rechecked everything. It wasn't until I thrust my hands in my pockets to ponder what to do that I found the distributor rotor...

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
Fantastic.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #124 (Edited)
Well, nevermind.
Dang it.

I hooked the manifold gauges back up and I still only have slightly higher pressure in the high side than the low. About 45 on the low, 70ish on the high. Air from the vent about 50 degrees. I think the result I was seeing the other night was just because of the low ambient temp. Ugh.

The high side intake metal hardline is hot to the touch, the low pressure suction side is freezing.

Thoughts? I’m not totally sure how to test the expansion valve in situ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Alright. I'm giving up again, at least for now. I've tried two different manifold gauge sets, both with the same readings. Now I can't get the compressor to draw in any more refrigerant. It's been sucking on the same can for almost 15 minutes with can in warm water and the heater open to keep the evaporator from freezing. I tested the can tap, tested the gauge hoses. I'm now thinking it's the compressor. Or the expansion valve. Or I have no idea, honestly. I've exhausted my knowledge and patience on this. It blows coolish air, maybe 15-20 below ambient, so it's doing something. I suppose at this point it's strip out the compressor and have it tested and/or replaced. Replace the expansion valve and dryer (again). Do it all over. But it's gonna have to wait because this one broke my enthusiasm for a little while. Four months chasing the same bug is just too much. Ugh.

121 - 125 of 125 Posts