Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will I fit a Spider?

I'm 6 feet tall and slightly wider in girth than I'd actually like. ;) (Call me under 250 lbs and we're good... ;) )

...and do the newest Spiders have an adjustable steering column? Do they even need it?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but how big are your feet? Seriously. That seems to be a limiting factor as the the pedals are close and there is a bump near the transmission tunel that is a bear for anyone with big feet.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Have you considered moving next to an airport, then rally all your neighbors to attempt having the airport close because its too noisy? Its about like that...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Honestly i dont have any issues with the exception of being careful of what shoes I wear ( size 12-13). Try to wear something with a rounded tip rather than a square toe. As for height.. I'm 6'2" and all my height is in my torso, so with the top up my head does touch the roof.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm 5'7" and drive a 74'. The funny thing is that I have the seat all the way back and my legs still bend when using the pedals, and since my foot's always on the throttle, my right leg is always bent. The pedals are close to each other and i like it that way since it allows for quicker response when braking and accelarating, but I'm willing to bet that the seating,and foot space can be very odd for those with wide feet. Sit in one for size.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Fellow BBers,

Look at the title of his first post: Alright, the $64,000 question... (our little convertibles don't cost nowhere near that much:eek:)

and he writes

...and do the newest Spiders have an adjustable steering column? Do they even need it?
I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that he is talking about the Brera-based Spider (the latest generation), which is not available in the US at this point.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Howdy - 6 feet, 265 lbs... size 11... have an '84... fit fairly decent... did take some getting used to with the clutch and gas (if I wear square toed boots... will keep it interesting, ha ha)... but not much. I was surprised... I do have the seat all the way back and a wee bit tilted. But seem to fit fine.... was more room than I had expected.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm 6'4", 225lb, with size 13 feet. I sort of fit into my 1982 Spider, and had (in the past) never considered a Spider because of my size. My biggest problem with fit, is my knee's hitting the steering wheel, and my (big) feet on the gas pedal. Once I get in the car and get settled, It's fine for the most part.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
6'1", a trim 265lbs, 13eeee feet, & hair turning white. I found that the S4 Spiders felt a bit cramped but I still fit. My '82 feels like it has more room. When driving my right knee is bent at 90 degrees. That felt odd at first but I found a position that makes it livable. The biggest adjustment is that my 13eeee feet would get tangled in the pedals during spirited driving. New Ballance tennies and a little practice solved that problem. Boots are definately out.

All in all I have found that my Alfa is quiet & comfortable. My biggest gripe is the wind noise above 55mph. But that problem has been solved also.

When compaired to my Datsun Roadsters the Alfa is a much better fit for a person of my size.

Duke58,

An Alfa is not as roomy as a Cessna 172 but much roomier than a Piper Arrow.

·
Registered
285 Posts
6' 1" and used to be 254 lbs. (Nutrisystem - dropped 50 lbs in 16 weeks over the summer :) Thank you Dan Marino!). Size 10 1/2 - 11 shoe. Tend to be broad in the butt. Biggest problem I ever had was keeping my right leg bent to match the accelerator. Wearing narrow italian shoes helps. Never a problem with fatigue on long trips (3-4 hours behind the wheel at a time). This in both my '74 and '79, which have stock seats. Of course, I have the seat all the way back against the stops.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
6' 1" and used to be 254 lbs. (Nutrisystem - dropped 50 lbs in 16 weeks over the summer :) Thank you Dan Marino!). Size 10 1/2 - 11 shoe. Tend to be broad in the butt. Biggest problem I ever had was keeping my right leg bent to match the accelerator. Wearing narrow italian shoes helps. Never a problem with fatigue on long trips (3-4 hours behind the wheel at a time). This in both my '74 and '79, which have stock seats. Of course, I have the seat all the way back against the stops.
WOW!!! 50lbs in 16 weeks. What an accomplishment. I couldn't gain 50lbs that fast.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I dont have "before" pictures, but I'm using the same bathroom scale, and it reads 204, vs 254 before. I'd like to get under 200, but its a struggle - and bad for my social life!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Wow! 50 lbs - Good for you! Bet you feel a whole lot better too. I lost 75 lbs in 9 weeks... first 25 went in first 2 weeks... I had "backed" off on carbs and hit the gym, enough was enough... weighed 277 then, got down to 202... didn't feel right though... felt like I would blow away in astrong wind... back to 225, felt great! Kept it around there for 3 years... worked out religiously... then, got hit with Kidney stones... 4-5 month battle (long, painful story), stopped the gym, kept up food, sigh... got back to 277 in about 6 months... now, back to backing off carbs and back to the gym again... down to the aforemention 265 (down 12 in about 9 days, not quite as fast as last go round)... anyways, good for you! Also, sorry folks, didn't mean to attempt to hijack... just thats a significant loss way to go Spider 79!

Also, back to the original question... buddy of mine is about 6'6, 300lbs... tried to drive my Spider... funniest thing... never saw a car lean like that going down the road. (-; Think he used one foot for both clutch and gas. (-;

Ok, I'll shut up now. (-: (-;

·
Registered
429 Posts
Not to hijack the weight loss thread this turned into :D, but I'm 6'3 240lbs, have size 13 feet, and I fit in the alfa pretty well. It's a little tight, but not at all unbearable. Honestly it's way better than some other cars I've been in. For example, I don't fit in Miatas at all, my mother has a Saturn sc2 with a sunroof which is also way worse than the alfa, mainly because the seat adjustment is non-existant and there's no headroom. I,m not even going to mention how tight it was with two people flying the Cessna 152 I did most of my flight training in a few years back.
Funny thing is sometimes two seater cars have the most room. I had a 280z in high school and the seat went so far back that I couldn't even reach the pedals.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts