Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some one out there should be interested in this one. It's in Richard's backyard...

Sounds like easy-peasy fiddly stuff to make it a runner. No affiliation, I've just seen it popping up for the past several weeks with varying prices. Now down to $499. If the windshield is good, it's probably worth that...

If the link below doesn't work, go to Seattle or Bellingham Craigslist and search "Alpha Romeo". Yes, "Alpha".

Complete running car 1990 Alpha Romeo 164L

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
Wonder why he would say that he would sell it only as a parts car if it runs.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
There's enough irregularity in that ad that I would only show up to see it with at least one buddy, and probably a concealed weapon.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
DON'T do this to me!!! I don't need another one!!!...ok, Ill give him a call, but promise not to go look at it tomorrow. :nono:

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
ok, well....he forced me into going to look at it tomorrow, but I promise not to buy it!!! :helpsmilie:

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
You're in deep yogurt, Richard, lol.

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts
REPORT Your findings!

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
I kept my promise. :clap:

The body looks pretty good. Only one spot, smaller than the palm of your hand where the clear coat is bad. A couple of dings, but generally good. It needs a right front headlight and fog light. Lower cladding forward of the right front door is loose at the bottom.

He kept saying how bad the interior was...I didn't think it was that bad for a tan interior. No worn through holes, a little dirty, but not bad, but seams need restitching on both front seats cushions. It even has the reclining rear seats that look in very good condition. It has a clear glass sun roof I've never seen before with switches on the headliner near where the drivers grab handle would be. The headliner is sagging and has been pulled around the roof consul as the sticky plastic cover wasn't there. Probably broken and discarded.

Left front inner door handle has been poorly repaired, has damaged the arm rest and doesn't work. The left front outer door handle is broken so the only way to open the drivers door is with a screw driver on the mechanism. All other outer door handle show early signs of failure.

None of the seat switches work and some are missing. There's a ground wire bolted on near the coolant for something. It doesn't belong there. The lower steering shaft cover, below the steering wheel is missing. When I dropped the door for the fuse box, there were 2 loose brackets, and several loose wires. Someone has been trying to do something, did it poorly and didn't put things back together. one of the loose connectors was orange, probably for the air bag.

The engine starts hard cold or hot, but isn't noisy. The exhaust is shot. I mean like it sounds like it isn't there, but it is. It might need exhaust flex joints as well as other exhaust items. Of course, the oil pressure displays low and the oil light is on. I suspect both the switch and sender are bad. Check engine light is on. The clutch slave cylinder hose had a leak and has been patched with some king of tape. He says it takes 2 pumps on the clutch pedal for it to engage. I didn't take it out, but he said it runs good. He seems like an honest guy, just don't know squat about 164s.

I was mildly temped, but when I opened the fuse box door and saw the mess, I really don't need that much of a project right now. If it had been simple switches and stuff, I probably would have bought it.

He bought it 6 months ago without starting it and wasn't told all the problems. He's not interested in fixing it. He's not an "Alpha" guy. I mentioned the spelling and reclining rear seats. I think he's going to relist it with the correct spelling. He's out of work and wants it gone, says he's loosing money on it. He's also selling an older Mercedes 420(?)SEL.

Vin # zarea33lom6164495 Tagged until next month.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought for sure you'd be hauling that thing home.

A glass sunroof?? I never knew any 164s received a glass sunroof.

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
Sounds like it was pretty well neglected and messed up, as many of the problems weren't that hard to fix, done one at a time when needed by a competent person. Pity.

The glass sunroof is something new to me as well. Would probably make the interior really hot in the summer.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
...A glass sunroof?? I never knew any 164s received a glass sunroof.
The first 164L that I test drove when I started looking had some sort of aftermarket glass sunroof. When I went to open it the owner said "Whoa, don't do that!"

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
The sun roof has a manual sliding solid panel to keep the sun out. Even the roof liner didn't look original. It wasn't the felt light gray I've always seen.

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
Aftermarket sunroof, huh.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
I've never seen a OEM glass one in a 164, but I think it was retractable like the solid ones. The installation looked very professional from the outside if it was aftermarket.

·
Registered
276 Posts
This Alpha Romero designed by Pimparina is basically a parts car then. She seems too far gone to wanna put some money into. I'm known for saving damsels in distress but this one has 3 wheels in the grave and the other in dire need of a few lug nuts. I feel bad it has come to it, but those parts will keep us going in the near future, I'm sure. I just bought a couple of interior parts from eBay, and I know that the poor car they came from was gorgeous :(

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Some one out there should be interested in this one. It's in Richard's backyard...

Sounds like easy-peasy fiddly stuff to make it a runner. No affiliation, I've just seen it popping up for the past several weeks with varying prices. Now down to $499. If the windshield is good, it's probably worth that...

If the link below doesn't work, go to Seattle or Bellingham Craigslist and search "Alpha Romeo". Yes, "Alpha".

Complete running car 1990 Alpha Romeo 164L
I'll Beta the Alpha is like new! Nothing wrong with it. One of a kind special!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
This Alpha Romero designed by Pimparina is basically a parts car then. She seems too far gone to wanna put some money into. I'm known for saving damsels in distress but this one has 3 wheels in the grave and the other in dire need of a few lug nuts. I feel bad it has come to it, but those parts will keep us going in the near future, I'm sure. I just bought a couple of interior parts from eBay, and I know that the poor car they came from was gorgeous :(
You are misremembering. It is an Alphalpha Romero built to compete head to head with the Alfonzo di Credenza which was produced by some nameless Asian wannabe who thought if you build an outrageously reliable car that looks vaguely European and has a very fancy name you'll become rich. This is Europe taking the fight straight back to the Asians.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Funny you should phrase it this way. My 164L parts car fell off the jack as the left rear wheel bearing housing fell apart when my mechanic was moving the partially stripped shell on a floor jack! The PO had said there was a vibration from the left rear he attributed to wheel balance issues!!!

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Youse guys are being toooo hard on the owner, after all, he is advertising it as a PARTS car even though it's in running condition. Granted, he didn't exercise due diligence when he bought it, but he quickly realized he was in over his head and is trying to bale at a loss. Give him a break :)

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
Ummm, didn't blame him, but the dreaded PO. I do hate it when some guy comes along and buys into a poorly maintained car because he didn't really understand what he was getting into, no thanks to the dreaded PO who couldn't be bothered to take care of things. I feel for him.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts