Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In his book ‘Zagato’ (Automobilia, 1984), Michele Marchiano published a list of all Zagato models.

Here are some extracts about cars I did not know the existence of:

1974: With Autodelta, an Alfa Romeo Junior Z with rear engine is tested

1978: Alfa Romeo Alfetta blindata (armored)

1979: Alfa Romeo blindata

1980: Alfa Romeo Alfetta blindata, Alfa Romeo 6C blindata

1981: Alfetta Blindata, Alfa Romeo 6C blindata

1982: Alfa Romeo Alfetta blindata, Alfa Romeo 6C blindata

1983: Alfetta blindata, Alfa Romeo 6C blindata, Alfa Romeo 33 personalized Zagato

1984: Alfa Romeo Alfetta blindata, Alfa Romeo 6C blindata, Alfa Romeo Sprint motore centrale (2nd prototype)

*Is there anybody who has more info and some pictures of this rear engined Junior Z?

*I assume that the author means the ‘6’ with his description ‘6C’.
*Also I have found some information about the armored Alfetta who was build in collaboration with the firm Tonali. But the info I found is very limited.
Until what date were these cars made, how many were made, what was the Zagato part in thes projects,….?

*Apparently in 1983, Zagato also made a personalized version of the 33. Has someone pictures of this car. Also what did Zagato change comparing with the standard car? This is not the better known Alfa Romeo Tempo Libero!!!

*The author also mentions a second prototype of the Alfa Romeo Sprint motore centrale. Why was a second prototype made, and what are the differences between both prototypes? Does anyone has photos of it?

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Tonali company still exists today and is still in the "security" business. I assume Tonali delivered the materials for the Alfetta and Zagato built it together, but that is just an assumption. The Alfetta Tonali brochure I also have in my collection. I find it a fascinating piece of history.

The 33 Tempo Libero is quite an obscure vehicle. So far I only have been able to obtain 2 colour pictures of this vehicle. In 1 picture the car is red and in the other it's sort of bronze. What's funny is that the Zagato company brochure of this vehicle has a typing error regarding the length of the vehicle. Zagato corrected this typing error for all brochures by hand. I have 2 brochures in my collection and both show the same issue. How Italian

·
Registered
203 Posts
I got one of the armoured Alfettas into my workshop a couple of years ago for some work.It was from the Italian consulate here.
I pulled it up onto my 2 post lift(max.3000kg).
I started lifting the car and noticed the lift was making a strange groaning noise.
Puzzled I checked everything except the car and giving it a clean bill of health,continued to lift the car.
Once it was up and the locks had engaged,I got under neath and in doing so knocked my head on the floor pan.
It was like running into an army tank!!The floor was armoured and solid as a rock!How thick it was I dont know but then I started noticing the 5 cm thick glass and other little things..
I then realized why my lift had groaned like that..The car must have weighed one heck of a lot.
Driving it later it handled like a top heavy bus as well.It had a little ts 20l engine and was definitly not nimble..In fact it was very,very heavy..
I returned the car and all was ok.

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
Armored cars are no surprise in the context of the Brigate Rosse.

But what about the rear/mid engined Junior Z's ???

·
Registered
899 Posts
OK Tubut, what about this?

About the rear engined Junior Z, you memory might fall short, as I'm pretty sure you know about it. However the reference to Autodelta makes little sense, since it was a Busso project, at Alfa, and Busso had already been bittered when his Tipo 33 project was handed over to Autodelta in January 1966.

I remember there are minor differences between the two Sprint 6C prototypes, but have no picture at hand to show the details. Impossible to say if you don't have the pics of both side to side.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
2 cars of the Tempo Libero were made. The red one was a Hybrid equipped with two different engines, electro and conventional. The gold/brown one only had a conventional engine.

Brochure of the 33 Temp Libero.

an article from Ruoteclassiche May 2007:

... But it did ask info about the Alfa Romeo 33 personalized by Zagato from 1983, not about the Tempo Libero from 1984, as I mentioned before...

·
Registered
87 Posts
The pope received a white Alfa Sei in the early eighties from Alfa Romeo for free. This Alfa Sei was of course an armoured version. Probably (not confirmed) one of the mentioned Alfa Sei's in the first posts is the "pope version"?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey Alfaman75 thanks for posting the 33 Tempolibero brochure. This confirms my earlier statement that all brochures of this vehicle have hand corrected length values. I have 2 of these brochures and both show the same length correction by hand as your brochure :D.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Anyone here who would know how to distinguish the various "blindata" Alfetta's?

I have very little information on the Zagato version(s) and we just found a 1984 blindata QO which we inspected in the dark...

Has been in storage since roughly 1995 and survived in pretty good condition.

An amazing experience to see (and FEEL!) the 1 inch thick glass!

Would like to find out who carried out the conversion but could find no badges or anything else that indicates the make.

All info is appreciated, as usual!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
There is a gallery here that indicates "Carrozzeria Fratelli Marazzi" did conversions. The pictured car appears to be a "plain clothes" police car.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Carrozzeria Marazzi produced a lot of small series especially Stations cars on Giulia, Alfa 2000, Alfa 90.
They produced soft top versions of Montreal.
And above all they produced the 33 Stradale

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
They produced soft top versions of Montreal.
Do you have any more information on this, or is it just a rumour?

Carrozzeria Marazzi seems to make a decent living outfitting 159s and Range Rovers for police use, and they can even deliver an armoured Lancia Thesis.

Marazzicar.it

Sorry for drifting slowly off topic here ...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
You can probably find the pictures on the net, and probably also on this forum.
Marazzi, did a complete restoration on a 33 Stradale by mid/late 80 for a customer. In the factory area, was there a Montreal that had been on the roof.The owner of the 33 Stardale ordered it,in convertible version. Green more beautiful than the Coupe Montreal. So there is at least one version

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The Montreal Cabriolet was an April Fool hoax in a magazine in 2003. The cab was supposedly made by Mario and Serafino Marazzi in Varese, but the article byline was "Don T. Beserious". It was a joke (but a good one) ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Last august on the Dutch Spettacolo Sportiva there was a Zagato display including the Junior Z with the rear engine. Suprizingly the car is based on an Alfetta (gtv?) floorpan . It has a 2 litre Nord engine. There was also the GTV6 Zagato.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts