Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
25 Years ago and as a 15 Y.O. and not having a good (well, not even basic) understading of carbs and jet turbine engines I faced the dilemma of how to grab a small nut I had dropped down the carb. It was sitting on the top of the butterfly valve and was ready to drop into that black hole of a intake manifold that I so so didnt want it to dissapear into. Long nose pliers? No. Wire and hook it? No. Take it all apart? No. Magnet, No (Not that bright). Any other good suggestions?. YES!!!!. Use mums vacuum cleaner and suck it out! Well since then I know that carbs exposed to a vacuum supply fuel and mums vacuum cleaner has a ignition source (brushes), and vacuum cleaners can creature quite a bit of thrust when the air/fuel ratio is right and there is a igntion source.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Wow! Make similar mistakes (and survive them) for another 30 or 40 years and you'll be an expert like some here. BTW - we become expert just this way - make every possible mistake that is survivable until all that's left is the right stuff.

At least you didn't grab a match to find it in the dark after your flashlight went dead. That's when I learned that every garage needs a fire extinguisher.

:D

Robert

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
I love this!

I too have had a similar experience with a vacuum cleaner. The split air conditioner in my living room was leaking water from its louvers and after looking up the problem on the internet it occurred to me that there was a small blockage in its drain pipe. I attached the end of the vacuum cleaner to the drain pipe turned it on and to my pleasant surprise (pop) it sucked up the blockage. Unfortunately the blockage had obviously been stopping several litres of water from draining away and my vacuum cleaner sucked up the water before I could remove the hose. There was a loud bang and the vacuum cleaner caught fire....so you're not alone when it comes to noval yet fool hardy experiements with vacuum cleaners. And lets be honest some people do much worse things with vacuum cleaners than I dare even discuss on this forum. :eek:

If you want to see what happens to a screw when it finds its way inside an engine go to this thread...at least you got to your screw before I got to mine!

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-...ts-way-into-combustion-camber.html#post976059

·
Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
More vacuum cleaner disasters? I am an avid ammunition reloader. I managed to spill about 1/4 lb of a fast pistol powder on the oriental rug in my study. What to do? Well ... VACUUM it up! After the first pass, the vacuum began to make a huffing noise and jump around. By the second pass it was more violent, with considerable smoke. I did not complete the third pass as I was busy putting out the fire.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry no pictures, but I have an on going relationship with fire

Another nomination for a Darwin Award involved cleaning my race car (Alfa Sud) For those who dont know, race tyres leave a good rubbery layer of hydrocarbons spread all around the tyre wells. Cleaning it is a messy business with the need for many rags. What happens when you run out of rags? Wipe your hands on your overalls. What I have learnt not to do afterwards. 1: Use an angle grinder that creates sparks & 2: Run.

·
1991 164L
27,781 Posts
My much younger sister when she was much much younger tested our mom's electrolux tank vac way back in the 50's in either bathtub or toilet and then put it away wet in closet so it was full of rusty water and dead when mom tried to use it. Guess she was about 9 or 10.

I used that same vac to paint my 1950 Ford convertible with white primer tinted with dark blue lacquer before this happened, but I cleaned paint gun attachment afterwards.

Ours was burgundy but like this model:
~| The Electrolux 1956 Thrift Model |~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts