Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case you missed it, Allegra is my '84 Veloce's name (meaning spirited and lively in Italian, or mediocre allergy relief in english). I'm "officially" starting my project here, although I have already done a few things as I will list/show.

My ultimate goal is to make her a slick looking moderately tuned street/track machine. Cosmetic changes at a MAXIMUM will include a rollbar, stance, and spoiler work. Mechanical changes will be much more extensive, as I plan to change bore, compression and fuel flow among other things.

The point is to end with a respectable Alfa that puts a smile on my face every time. Ok, a bigger smile. :)

Here she is shortly after I purchased her in 2009/10.
Alfa.jpg

On display with my '67 Mercedes.
euro cars.jpg

One potential outcome of this project... (not really!)
Super Alfa.JPG

A recent pic, after *modified* IAP springs and Bilstein HD's.
twins.jpg

Sooo... now the hard part. I need help deciding between sticking with L-Jet or going to something like Megasquirt. The tentative engine plans are as follows:
JE 85mm 11.5 CR pistons and sleeves (spruellmotorsport.com),
A set of Richard Jemison's street/race cams,
Oversize intake and exhaust valves.

I'm also looking into methanol injection, but that's a whole other issue in an increaslingly difficult build.

This WILL be a long-term project as I have a family, but I'm doing it, really! Haha...

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
this ought to be fun to watch. sence misert, and john have retired from driving.. a note on the fi system, have you thoght about LH jet? i have a set up( temp. ) on my car. Lh jet is a lot better than l jet. and as for an added + you a set up of a 1986 volvo240 easy to find at an auto wrecker.. all you need og the car.. air mass meter.. ecu, main drive relay. harness..( and a trip to your local auto wire shop to get extra wire to lenghen the harness,i am useing a throttle body off a saab, and a throttle cable off a 1992 nissan altima..( not .. a high ohm system will drive a low ohm system but not the other way around, so you can use 'stock ; injectors, or amny others that wil fit in a alfa intake manifold' low ohm' type.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
also the LH sytem is off a 2.2 liter car, so the ecu thinks it's a 2.2 liter motor( but wee all know we have a 2.0 liter motor) so fuel flow/ air flow will be much better, than the stock Ljet system.. LH jet is a ' hot' wire system

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
In case you missed it, Allegra is my '84 Veloce's name (meaning spirited and lively in Italian, or mediocre allergy relief in english). I'm "officially" starting my project here, although I have already done a few things as I will list/show.

My ultimate goal is to make her a slick looking moderately tuned street/track machine. Cosmetic changes at a MAXIMUM will include a rollbar, stance, and spoiler work. Mechanical changes will be much more extensive, as I plan to change bore, compression and fuel flow among other things.

The point is to end with a respectable Alfa that puts a smile on my face every time. Ok, a bigger smile. :)

Here she is shortly after I purchased her in 2009/10.
View attachment 236027

On display with my '67 Mercedes.
View attachment 236028

One potential outcome of this project... (not really!)
View attachment 236029

A recent pic, after *modified* IAP springs and Bilstein HD's.
View attachment 236030

Sooo... now the hard part. I need help deciding between sticking with L-Jet or going to something like Megasquirt. The tentative engine plans are as follows:
JE 85mm 11.5 CR pistons and sleeves (spruellmotorsport.com),
A set of Richard Jemison's street/race cams,
Oversize intake and exhaust valves.

I'm also looking into methanol injection, but that's a whole other issue in an increaslingly difficult build.

This WILL be a long-term project as I have a family, but I'm doing it, really! Haha...
Needs chrome 22"s.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, 22's would be great, OR... I could stick with my Campagnolo's. Speaking of wheel without sarcasm now, here's my 8.5 lb aluminum flywheel.
al flywheel.jpg

And here is the Darstan header that will hopefully be installed very soon.
header.jpg

Here's the engine bay right now. The intake is wrapped in thermal wrap.
engine feb2012.jpg

Just moving in to my new place so it's messy, but this is her new home.
Alfa in garage.jpg

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Happy day today- just got my Darstan header installed, then drove it OPEN (!!!) to the muffler shop and had a new high-flow CAT put on and the system joined. The result is a bit thoatier sound from the front end, no noticeable sound change at the back, but a VERY noticeable increase in throttle responsiveness. It definitely pulls harder over 1500 rpms now, and much harder over ~3200. Thanks to Vintage Customs for the header and Fallon Muffler for the CAT install.
old manifold.jpg
old new header.jpg
darstan installed.jpg
Gonna have some fun with this for a while, then it's time to replace that rear muffler. Not sure about going muffler or stinger/glasspack yet, but if it sounds like a weedwack.. er, I mean tuned Honda, it's not staying on.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After banging it around unsuccessfully a bit I realized that just lowering it in wasn't gonna work, so...
I unbolted the top of the dip stick tube and pushed it aside, pulled off the front driver's side wheel, disconnected what I think may be called the "track rod," and it fit in pretty easily. I remounted the dipstick tube bracket upside down (you can see in the pics) to get a little more space between it and the header. Finally, I bent in (just a little) the tab coming out over the header (over the part of the 3rd pipe just before it curves down) because it was contacting. The only problem I've got is that at an extreme left turn I think that track rod may be scraping the bottom of the header. Will find out tomorrow.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the correction, I thought I might have had the wrong name there.
I am loving the new power so much that it's pushing me toward that light flywheel install... but I don't want to yet because the car will likely be down for a week. What to do...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found the contact point. The linkage is sliding up to and against the header where right where I circled in the picture. I want the full turning radius back, but how to go about it?
linkage contact2.jpg
Here's about as far as I can turn left before contacting.
radius.jpg

·
Administrator
12,190 Posts
Oxy set required ... heat pipe red hot and either dent it in so that it clears or carefully bend away (might require multiple little bends).

Often exhaust systems require this sort of massaging to get a perfect fit, especially custom headers.
Pete

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd definitely take it to a professional for that, but is that even an option in this case since they are ceramic coated? In the mean time I'm looking into linkage modification options (if any). It's really not a huge deal as it only affects the last few degrees of left turning, but I really want to fix it if possible.

·
Administrator
12,190 Posts
I'd definitely take it to a professional for that, but is that even an option in this case since they are ceramic coated? In the mean time I'm looking into linkage modification options (if any). It's really not a huge deal as it only affects the last few degrees of left turning, but I really want to fix it if possible.
Yes the ceramic coating will be damaged and will have to be redone, I assume.

I think exhausts should go around steering linkages, not the other way around. Hate you to make your steering components weaker than they are.

Have you checked your engine mounts though, as maybe your engine is sitting lower than they expected as I find it strange you have this issue.
Pete

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
agree on the engine mount point - but if the mounts are good or new, maybe a small spacer under the mount (at least it is the exhaust side mount!) might do the trick?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PSk- yes, I would definitely not make the linkage weaker. As for the engine mounts, here they are. I'm not too familiar with what they SHOULD look like, but I'm guessing you guys are right that I should replace them.
engine mount.jpg

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
that mount looks pretty near perfect, straight up, not sagging down or to one side or anything..........looks good to me (you should clean that oil contamination off the upper metal part before it drips down and does destroy the mount!)...........However, it is the exhaust side mount that is important in this case.....can you shoot a photo of that?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
spiderserie4- I was going to but there is too much stuff in the way. It looks identical in wear/sag to me, but I'll see if I can get it. Do you think that adding a spacer(s) would give me enough room though? Maybe if I could tilt the rear of the engine up, but then I'm sure there would be trani issues.

·
Administrator
12,190 Posts
spiderserie4- I was going to but there is too much stuff in the way. It looks identical in wear/sag to me, but I'll see if I can get it. Do you think that adding a spacer(s) would give me enough room though? Maybe if I could tilt the rear of the engine up, but then I'm sure there would be trani issues.
You only need a little movement, so I'm sure you will get away with it. If really concerned you could compensate by whatever you lift on one side, you lower on the other. This though would require modification of the engine mount to engine bracket. Maybe as easy though as adding new holes. This would mean that the gearbox would be in exactly the same location, just twisted a little. Far better than compromising the lovely steering of these cars.

Have you tried putting say a lump of wood on top of a trolley jack and using this piece of wood to push on the offending piece of pipe and trying to lift the car. My goal with this suggestion is maybe with enough force you could cold bend the pipe enough to get away from the steering. Please don't get under the car of course ... no injuries please :).
Pete

1 - 20 of 56 Posts