Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than monitor every post for clearance... would it not be easier to catch the first SPAM message and then KILL the sender/poster like "star 60" on spam phone calls? The speed of a glance at these Chinese spams and then wipe him out seems more efficient than having to read every legitimate post for content..

·
Administrator
16,986 Posts
That is what we used to be able to do. There was a time limit between posts and new 'members' were not able to post links until they met the 10-post threshold. This slowed them down and made it easier for us to nuke them before they could inundate the place with garbage. We have been petitioning the BB owners to put such safeguards back into place. BTW, we don't have to read every spam post and delete them one by one - but the problem is they'll post 20-30 spam threads in a few minutes.

Please be patient while we try to fix this.

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
Rather than monitor every post for clearance... would it not be easier to catch the first SPAM message and then KILL the sender/poster like "star 60" on spam phone calls?
Plus these spam posts are created by robots - not by humans. After we delete an offending user name, they just create a new one.

·
Premium Member
13,984 Posts
I signed up for an online tax software package yesterday and I had to give my cellphone # to receive a verify code. Is there a reason why we cannot use that kind of system for new members?

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
Bless you Eric! I found what might be another solution. Send me an e-mail..
Gordon

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
I signed up for an online tax software package yesterday and I had to give my cellphone # to receive a verify code. Is there a reason why we cannot use that kind of system for new members?
All great ideas. But proposing fixes and implementing them are two very different things.

- We moderators have no control over how the BB functions. I wish we could simply agree with your suggestions, change a couple lines of code and voila!, we've changed how the BB works. Instead, we have to work through:

- The BB's owner/operator, VerticalScope, who in turn licenses the XenForo software that supports the BB. The VerticalScope admins can re-configure XenForo, but I doubt they can alter the underlying code. Just getting their attention to re-configure things (eg check and uncheck boxes) is a challenge. For changes requiring code modifications, VerticalScope needs to ask:

- XenForo, who I'm sure could add the sort of two level authentication that alfaparticle suggests, but they can't just do it willy nilly. Any change has to be part of a larger release, or the resulting code would be unsupportable. Plus XenForo no doubt has multiple customers, all of who are demanding upgrades and changes.

I'm not making excuses for this miserable situation - just explaining that the solution isn't simple.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts