Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was an interesting segment on that program where they did several mods to a 2L Giulia including lowering. When they were finished they commented on how the rear tires were a little pigeon toed but hey left that to a future program. What really caught my attention was the changeout of some sort of valve associated with the turbo. I can't remember exactly what it was but they also flashed the ECU with the end result being an increase in boost. Apparently the hp gains are significant. It's season 9 episode 16 if anyone is interested.

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
yeah, saw that as well. didn't care for the lowering, but the other mods were pretty interesting.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hadn't known Jessie Combs died trying to break the land speed record for women. Apparently a wheel hit something at 500+ MPH and that was that. The cause of death was massive blunt force trauma to the head and not the resulting fire.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
I saw that episode.

Fun to watch.

·
Registered
954 Posts
The girls garage replaced the plastic diverted valve with a better metal diverted valve that holds and controls pressure much better. The original plastic valves tend to leak after many miles. I’ve done the same replacement on my Giulia and also my Fiat 500 Abarth.
The obd plugin is to change the transmission shift points to become quicker with increased throttle response. Replaces the factory settings with quicker throttle and shift points. Easy to change back and forth from factory set conservative shift points to quicker shift points. Factory shifting is set to not overwhelm average drivers.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Factory shift points and engine tune are set with CO2 emissions in mind, which is fuel economy renamed. Nothing to do with driver skills required. Fast is fast. Be ready for speed. Acceleration is not hazardous.

·
Administrator
14,469 Posts
Sounds like Alfa are still designing cars to chew through tyres as fast as possible. Don't get it??

In the end owners move away from their specs to make tyres last and the car is just as good ... are they getting back handers from tyre companies?
Pete

·
Registered
52 Posts
Saw episode...would b nice to know who made tranny dongle. I laughed when mentioned rear too low.
JB4 like piggyback but apparently not much hp to be gained!! CAI also don’t do much either as Veh comes with one from factory. 2.0 even w turbo only breathes so much..oh but the tcm dongle...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Reactions: Digolfa

·
Registered
663 Posts
Lots of discussions on the Stelvio and Guilia forums. There are good gains in HP and especially torque available with piggyback and flash tuning from multiple sources esp when used with exhaust. Plus easy access to revised transmission shift maps with flash tune modules. Adjustments to the DNA to get “race” mode with the 2.0, modified control arms to fix rear camber for lowered cars, coil overs, hi capacity turbo down pipes and cars, etc. so fun to be had.

The stock engine pulls well in D-mode. These small turbo engines torque curves are really well matched to the ZF 8-speed. Yes the engines run out of breath at high rpm, they don’t use big turbos. Gotta get a quad if you want to wind it up. Sort of like a 12v 3.0 v6 bs a 24v. I don’t have paddles but have learned to use the console shift well. My stelvio is still stock except for summer/winter tires and upgraded brake pads, Ti with no shift paddles or adjustable suspension. Adaptive cruise control is great. Headlights are awesome. Probably will leave it like this or put in the jb4 and exhaust, and a trailer hitch. I have had no problems.

Would I rather drive a 164 every day, or a Milano? Yes but I was putting high bad weather mileage and a modern, reliable car needed. The electronics are simple and the dial controls work well. These drive really well, 100% happy. Would love a quad but for my needs the four cylinder car works great while I spend my money on an gtv6,. But I have been looking at used 4c and have the quad itch🍀

Reactions: Johnalfa

·
Registered
954 Posts
$500 isn’t a bad deal if it works to your liking. Use it in combination with the go pedal which increases throttle response and the car responds very well with little turbo lag. You won’t need the tranny auto flash if you use the go pedal with the paddle shifter.
I haven’t tried either in my Giulia but have the go pedal in my 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth and it works very well. With manual shifting in the Abarth, I do find myself shifting a lot quicker than the normal modes due to quicker throttle response. On the race track it works very well accelerating quicker out of the turns. In race mode In normal driving on the street it’s a bit too much shifting between stop lights, but then you can just turn it off or put it in economy mode (no fun).

·
Registered
52 Posts
$500 isn’t a bad deal if it works to your liking. Use it in combination with the go pedal which increases throttle response and the car responds very well with little turbo lag. You won’t need the tranny auto flash if you use the go pedal with the paddle shifter.
I haven’t tried either in my Giulia but have the go pedal in my 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth and it works very well. With manual shifting in the Abarth, I do find myself shifting a lot quicker than the normal modes due to quicker throttle response. On the race track it works very well accelerating quicker out of the turns. In race mode In normal driving on the street it’s a bit too much shifting between stop lights, but then you can just turn it off or put it in economy mode (no fun).
I have a pedal controller and tune. Love the pedal manipulator. EC tune...., kinda weak. As for the TCM tweaked,
I just seek exact clarification on its design purpose. As an aside, yesterday during hard country driving, up shifts during WOT were rather harsh and somewhat belabored 🥴🥴

It seems my car performance varies day to day???

·
Registered
954 Posts
Upshifts harsh using the paddle shifters or the auto? To be honest, I can’t shift using paddles as well as the ZF auto. Even Kimi Raikkonen Alfa F1 driver uses the auto instead of paddle shifters in the Giulia while driving Nubering Germany. Randy Probst Scca driving champ once compared his track times on his track Cadillac and found he was quicker by maybe a second using the auto instead of paddle shifters.
I default to the auto even on track days at Laguna Seca. No problems with old Alfa’s and 5 speed manuals, but 8 speed Giulia way too much manual shifting for me.

Reactions: Digolfa

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi. I wonder if that TCM dongle works just with one Veh at time. It must, But if one offloads the program, can another driver/car owner try it on their Veh ?? I wonder if Madness would answer that?

·
Registered
954 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts