Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed a front end rebuild of my '69 spider. New springs, shocks, all bushings, and steering rod ends. I purchased a camber/caster gauge and toe plates and watched a lot of YouTube videos on how to aline a car. However, all the videos I watched make the assumption you are just "re alining" the car; camber, caster, and toe on each side. I am really starting from scratch. I did the best I could with it, but it pulls a little to the right and the steering wheel is not straight when I am going straight.

Anyone know of a guide to a complete procedure?
BTW- if you have been driving your car for many years you have no idea how great it can feel when you replace everything at once. Even with the slight pull it was a joy to drive.:laugh2:

·
Registered
419 Posts
If the only problem seems to be the right pull and steering wheel centering, first cross switch the front tires and test drive.
You may have a tire issue, not an alignment problem

Joe

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,514 Posts
Service manual should have the procedure if you have it: I know my '91 does, not sure about a '69.

Anyway, most of those videos are probably for cars with rack & pinion steering, where you adjust toe just via the outer tie rods. The Spider is a little different in that it has a center steering link that is also adjustable: basically you need to set the outer arms and then adjust toe via the center link as a final step. If you don't do it the proper way you can wind up with weird steering effects like your Ackermann geometry being all screwed up (ask me how I know...)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tom, I was not thinking about the rack and pinion issue. Of course, when all else fails, it is helpful to read the instructions. Went to my bookshelf and found the very ancient "Intereurope" repair manual for the 101/105 cars. There was the procedure, very different from what I was doing. Will try it this weekend.

·
Premium Member
14,008 Posts
Here is how I would do it:
the steering wheel is not straight when I am going straight.
Turn the steering wheel so that it points straight ahead. Adjust the driver side steering link to make that wheel point straight ahead. Measure the length of that link then adjust the passenger side link to the same length. Then adjust the center link to make the passenger side wheel point straight ahead. When you are fine tuning the toe make equal adjustments on the two outer links. one quarter of a turn of the middle, tubular piece of each link is approximately equal to 1/16" of toe.
but it pulls a little to the right
Lengthen the caster link on that side. It is a fairly coarse adjustment and I always turn the center tube at least 1/2 turn at each adjustment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts