Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at an alignment machine the other day, all it consists of seem to be mirrors and lasers. That machine must have been expensive, given that an alignment starts at $60 for the front tires! That make me wonder what mechanics used before lasers and computers were invented...

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I hear you! I know there's a few guys here who use a carpenters square and and a few basic tricks and some trial and error methods that I would love to learn. I've searched the threads but have not found any specific instructions.

·
Registered
738 Posts
squares, cord & straight edges is pretty much all you need & a perfectly flat garage floor of course. Where angles are required use trigonometry to calculate the angle into a measurement.

·
Super Moderator
11,386 Posts
All these answers are correct. When I was 15, 46 years ago, my dad an I restored my first car, a 1931 Ford Model A Town Sedan. The shop manual showed correct alignment procedures, done on a leval surface. Toe in was done with a "iron wire" , while other measurements were done in like fashon with steel squares and alike. Worked fine.
Gordon Raymond

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a cool way of doing an alignment, cheap too! I should see how close my BMW is :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts