Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be old news to some.

Algar Ferrari / Alfa is located outside of Philadelphia. I always used them to service my old 164S and spider. They were not inexpensive but they did do top notch work. The parts manager used to give me a very nice discount on parts as well. I also know that some of the 3rd party parts houses were the largest customer of Algar in terms of Alfa (they got same discount I did, then marked them up).

Today I learned from Mike, Algar's service manager, that they are no longer servicing 164's and have also gotten out of the Alfa parts business. I had called him to inquire about a car I am looking at that they had serviced in the past. That pretty much leaves Nick Falcone's as the only Alfa service shop in the subruban Philadelphia area. Falcone's is excellent but, for me, not very convenient.

It's probably been 10 years since I sold my 164S. The question I have is, has the availability of parts and services deteriorated to the point where using a 164 regularly is no longer really practical?

·
Premium Member
9,814 Posts
The question I have is, has the availability of parts and services deteriorated to the point where using a 164 regularly is no longer really practical?
Never!! Keep driving them. Plenty of parts out there. Plenty of used parts out there. Keep driving them and using parts otherwise they will discontinue faster IMO. Plenty of aftermarket. We are good!

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
The question I have is, has the availability of parts and services deteriorated to the point where using a 164 regularly is no longer really practical?
One might question whether driving a 164 regularly was ever practical. Or any Alfa Romeo for that matter. Hey, I drive mine regularly, so I'm certainly not saying it can't be done - just interpreting the word "practical" literally. :D

I haven't found 164 parts availability to be that big of an issue. It's the frequency with which I need parts that's getting impractical.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I wouldn't worry that a local Ferrari dealer doesn't want to mess with them anymore (can you really blame them?). These cars are still very cheap to buy and parts are reasonable (unless you need a windshield) and available. Pick one up cheap and drive it, drive it, drive it. We still have Alfissimo, DiFatta Bros., Vick AutoSport, Centerline, APE, etc for parts. The service issue is not an issue for me, since I have never taken mine to anyone for service, except for alignments and tires. If I was relying on a Ferrari dealer to service mine, I would have declared a 164 impractical a long time ago. Find a Bosch service center, the fuel injection in these cars is just Bosch Motronic, nothing special.
Charles

·
Premium Member
16,240 Posts
"One might question whether driving a 164 regularly was ever practical. Or any Alfa Romeo for that matter".

Why do people think that? I've driven nothing but Alfas for daily driving since the late sixties, and must have at least a million miles total. I've been left by the side of the road only about 4-5 times in those four and a half decades. Could have happened to any make car as far as I figure. Several of the times were my fault anyway, having not done maintenance when I should have, ie, not keeping up with fan belts, not paying attention to the truly worthless front suspension bushings on my Sprint GT, not changing the 164 idler bearing before a looooong trip. The cars just keep driving along mile after mile, day by day, year by year, and so I have sometimes forgotten to keep up with scheduled maintenance. Mea culpa.

Fun into the sunset, worth it in my book.

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
First one was 79 Alfetta GTV found here in Italy, US spec. Real beuaty w/Spica. Spica took a dump, converted to Euro setup with DellOrtos and put in Euro 2l cams. Shipped to Baltimore and drove it to Ohio for a gathering and then on to Salt Lake and my new base. Only hiccup was the points going wacko in Iowa.

2nd an 88 spider bought online from Spreull in Atlanta while living in New Orleans. Road trip w/son and drive back. Lord knows how many miles no sweat 'cept adjusting the fan belt frequntly.

Newest love, a Twin Spark 2L 164 in as new shape bought from an engineer her in Italy where I now call home. I dont imagine it'll be more than a weekend out and about car for the spousal unit and I. Plans are to lower it an inch or so, install a full CSC exhaust and source someone to ceramic coat the header pipes, new 5 spokes and a sportier steering wheel. It needs nothing 'cept the low oil level light addressed and thank to Steve, that'll be done after my visiting dau returns home to the states. I'm a searcher kinda guy and sourcing parts is no sweat from demo yards and the local vendors. Some items are easier to source from over in the US than here in the "mother land" for the Alfetta but as noted above, any issues that have gone wrong were usually due to some oversight on my part. Drive em like you stole em and they'll not often leave you stranded. chris

·
Premium Member
27,377 Posts
I bought into the Fiat and Lancia mystic in 1980 and have been driving Italian ever since.

My 91 164B was my first Alfa and a new one at that. Still have it plus many more.

The drive'em like you stole'em was on the back of a 91L I bought from my Ferrari bud.

Daughter's BF has that car now.

If you ain't driving an Alfa everyday you ain't driving!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
My first car was an Alfetta GTV, I have been driving Alfas since. Have owned a few Fiats along the way. Would rather drive a 164 any day over a chevy piece of s#$t any day! A 164 has soul, a chevy is a dishwasher. Use it for a few years and throw it away.

·
Premium Member
16,240 Posts
Just drove my friend's 2010 Audi A6 Quattro. Very nice car, beautifully put together, with lots of power. However, it is very numb feeling when you drive it, and has no soul whatsoever. Also, the red panel lighting inside looks sort of like it came out of a brothel, lol. Still, for $50k it ought to be very nice, which it is. I wouldn't buy one though, not after driving my 94LS with the road feel.

·
Premium Member
27,377 Posts
My first car was an Alfetta GTV, I have been driving Alfas since. Have owned a few Fiats along the way. Would rather drive a 164 any day over a chevy piece of s#$t any day! A 164 has soul, a chevy is a dishwasher. Use it for a few years and throw it away.
Don't you let my wife hear you say that! She likes my 164s but loves both me and her 09 Chevy Bu.

Today we have to go to in laws and forcast for steady afternoon rain so may take Chevy.

I drove my 164 all day last Saturday in the rain on our wine tour so really may still try to talk her into going in the 164.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Just drove my friend's 2010 Audi A6 Quattro. Very nice car, beautifully put together, with lots of power. However, it is very numb feeling when you drive it, and has no soul whatsoever. Also, the red panel lighting inside looks sort of like it came out of a brothel, lol. Still, for $50k it ought to be very nice, which it is. I wouldn't buy one though, not after driving my 94LS with the road feel.
other in our house consist of a 200 bmw 540I, 6 speed stick, with Dynan intake and exhaust. It has many horses but weighs a ton and is actually quite numb also. Nowhere near as responsive or a chuckable or fun ans the 164LS. the other is 2009 VW 2.0 turbo. Nice car Ok so what, just sitting in the 164 feels better than driving that!

·
Premium Member
16,240 Posts
The friend did consider the 5 series BMW, but said that it just wasn't quite as nice a car, and cost a lot more, everything being options compared to the Audi; and he knows BMW's, his son racing them. Still, the German cars are so "cold" in their design.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought into the Fiat and Lancia mystic in 1980 and have been driving Italian ever since.
If you ain't driving an Alfa everyday you ain't driving!
my old 164 was my daily driver and my new 164ls will also be used that way (albeit not in nasty weather).

Given the diminishing number of Places for service, next time that timing belt is due I may have to throw some beer in the trunk and pay a visit to Steve in Va so I can learn how to do that job on my own in years to come.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts