Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving the 2001 Subaru Legacy GT wagon today (destined to officially become #1 Daughter's car within the next year or so), I was reminded of what a fine engine it has, and a thought occurred to me:

If someone held a gun to my head and said I had to replace the twincam four in the Alfetta with another company's engine, what a great choice the Subie 2.5 flat-four would be! Relatively lightweight, low profile, horsepower and torque comparable to the 2.5 V-6 in the GTV6/Milano, likes to rev, and reliable as the sunrise.

We could call it the AlfettaSud.

This is such a brilliant idea I'm sure many other folks have thought of it before I did.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have thought of this many times when I had my XT (and not driving the Alfa). Amazing little engine and super small package even more so when turbocharged. Not as wide as you would think being a boxer. If it could fit in the engine bay it could sit way back behind the axle line. Fun to imagine.

Wasn't the whole subaru design philosphy a rip off of the Alfasud (including the rust)?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
While driving the 2001 Subaru Legacy GT wagon today (destined to officially become #1 Daughter's car within the next year or so), I was reminded of what a fine engine it has, and a thought occurred to me:

If someone held a gun to my head and said I had to replace the twincam four in the Alfetta with another company's engine, what a great choice the Subie 2.5 flat-four would be! Relatively lightweight, low profile, horsepower and torque comparable to the 2.5 V-6 in the GTV6/Milano, likes to rev, and reliable as the sunrise.

We could call it the AlfettaSud.

This is such a brilliant idea I'm sure many other folks have thought of it before I did.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Have you whipped out a tap measure and checked out the available space? Pretty sure a flat 4 from a Subie won't fit 'cause it's too friggin wide............ :oops:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick check with a tape measure seems to show that the Subaru flat-four would probably fit in the Alfetta engine compartment, with some relocation of items from the passenger-side inner fender wall (coil, vapor separator, fuel filter) and maybe some redesign of the Subie exhaust manifold (or maybe not).

Just sayin'......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts