Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,

I recently renewed all the gaskests etc of my Dellorto Carbies, since putting them back on ive been having a bit of trouble getting my alfetta started. (It doesnt even ignite when turned over.) :mad:

The engine has ran before, (very rough though).
I have checked that the fuel is getting to the carbies, and that the sparkies are all fine aswell. (when i spayed some carby cleaner down the air intakes, the engine would fire :rolleyes:)

From what I can see when I put the trottle down, the accelerator pump doesnt budge, could this just be a tired old spring? Or is it something internal? :confused:

Thanks in advance for responses :)

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Got spark,

got fuel to carbs,

no fuel out of carbs

acc pump inop

worked before you fixed it

I think you need to revisit your gasket replacement and see if something got left behind and is clogging things up or is jamming up your linkage(s)

My experience has been that the acc pumps wear and leak fuel past plunger so that they no longer pump. Not seen one on a working car jam up. One that has been setting for years, yes

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the reply,

I renewed the acc pump diaphragms aswell when I did the carbies. Something is definatly clogging up a jet somewhere.

What is the best/easiest way of clear blockages? Taking them apart and cleaning all passages with carb cleaner/compressed air?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Its worth a try. If you have the carbs off and can orient them so you can fill cavities and passages with cleaner an let it soak a bit

I've had good luck on small engine carbs using cans of carb cleaner, brake cleaner and canned air with the nozzle straw to get right in there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took out all the idle and main jets earlier, they were all blocked. Tried soaking them in carbie cleaner and using the air compressor, which didnt clear them.

Then I though I'd try something I had read the other day, boiling the jets in water! Worked a treat, completly free them up. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
After cleaning the jets yesterday, I put them back in and the car started :D,
today however I went to start it and its back to not firing at all. So I went to take the jets out again to see if they were blocked up (they weren't).

The fuel line leading to the first carb split, and quite a high pressure jet of fuel came out, :eek: so theres still fuel getting to the carbs.

Does anyone have a picture of the internal passage ways of the Dellorto carbs, so I can get a better idea of which passage way may be blocked.

I know the best way to remedy this would be to take the carbies off/apart and soak them in carb cleaner. But i really dont want to have to do this. So does anyone have any tips for clearing the passage ways without taking the carbies of the engine? :confused:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Since the problem seems to be coming back i would start by opening the pressure regulator/fuel filter and cleaning out any dirt. Also changing the fuel filter if needed. Then I think there is supposed to be two small plastic filters where the fuel lines enter the carbs. Take apart, check and clean. If you haven´t done this yet, take out all jets and clean them as well.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I know the best way to remedy this would be to take the carbies off/apart and soak them in carb cleaner. But i really dont want to have to do this. So does anyone have any tips for clearing the passage ways without taking the carbies of the engine? :confused:
You can check this thread http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/carburetors-fuel-injection/151677-cleaning-dcoe-varnish-buildup.html there are two procedures that you should try to see if they solve your problem.

I would also check and clean the fuel pressure regulator bowl and see how the fuel filter is as suggested.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks heaps for the responses.
I'm going to try the 'Gumout' method tonight, will post again tommorow with results.
Ill also check the fuel filter aswell :)
Thanks again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I tried the gumout method, not sure if its worked because one of the carbies started leaking. I took it off and it turns out one of the 'pins' in the accelerator pump had come loose and fuel was leaking passed it. I placed the pin back in, but it seems corroded and fuel is still leaking past it. Really not to sure on how to fix this problem, i was thinking along the lines of silicon, mabye some soldering?, or a small weld. If anyone has any advice, or a solution please please post!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Couldn't see the part i needed on there. Ive taken both the carbs off the engine, going to give them both a soak.

For now I just want to stop the leak, will a bit of silicon do it? Ill post a pic of the hole im talking about later on.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Couldn't see the part i needed on there. Ive taken both the carbs off the engine, going to give them both a soak.
They sell many parts they don´t advertise I will shoot them an e-mail to see if they got them. Also you could post in the parts section, maybe someone out there has a Dellorto DHLA for parts out there....

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
JB Weld?

Does that leaking part see pressure?

If not hit the nearest hobby shop and check out the fuel proof dope.

Maybe a couple coats will hold long enough for you. or you could glue it in with the fuel proof dope or fuel proof epoxy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I took the carbies apart again, gave them both a soak overnight, revisted all the jets, found that the accelerator jets were really clogged up, clean them all up. I did a JB weld over the spot it was leaking, hasnt leaked since.

Put the carbies back on today, started first go!!

The engine runs really rough though, quite uneven, and when i put my foot down abit it has a bit of lag before it revs, the revs are taking a very long time to come down when i take my foot off.

The guy I bought it off said he had timed it (the car had apparently been sitting around for 10 years). Also I didnt flush the old fuel out when i got it, but it was quite empty, and ive put new fuel in a few weeks ago.

I would guess someones already made a post on all of these problems, but i cant seem to find them :eek:.

Any advice would be great.
And thanks so much to all the replies so far, they've really helped :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fixed the accelerator lag, had accidently put metal washers on the top of accelerator jet caps, instead of the fibre ones. :)

Car is idling, but isn't balanced (Engine rocks a bit). I dont have a carb sync tool, so im just going to keep ajusting away until it idles smooth-ish.

Any tips on syncing carbies without a carb sync tool?

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Thanks for posting your updates with the car, it´s great to read it fired and that it was only a very dirty carb. I really encourage you to search in the Carb & Fuel Injection section, there are many threads with useful information on how to balance and setup carbs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts