Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfetta write-off, Sweet parts

6K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  rowan_jackson 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, My 1978 Alfetta sedan was rear-ended and written off by the insurer. It is an extremely original car and i bought the wreck back off them to prevent it being scrapped. The wreck cost me $650 and i would really like to see $1000 to $1100 returned, many of the parts on it are nearly-new i have only done 6000km's on it and i am the second owner it has 97,000km's total. No rust anywhere now, there was a spot in the front pillar RHS but i eradicated it when i bought the car. Anyway here is an assesment of what is valuable on the vehicle i would like to sell it as a whole vehicle, but if i cant meet my fiscal target i will have to take the time and part it out.

Body:
- 4 totally rust-free doors
- good bonnet, quite a few stone chips an a wiered stain in the paint.
- brand new front windscreen (w/antenna inbuilt,)
- Great front lights all trim present and correct, great front guards.

Drivetrain:
- Very solid original engine with new water pump and reco radiator
- after-market extractors are the only modification with a 2 inch exhaust back.
- Good guibos no vibration in the driveshaft.
- Great gearbox, all syncro's are excellent i reconditioned the extire shift linkage and clutch system so everything is nice and smooth.
- Brand new front break rotors and pads, new rubbers throughout the front and back suspension.
- Good but not new shock absorbers on the back.

Interior:
- Is Tan velour, and in immaculate condition not a rip stain or scratch anywhere, the door cards are a bit faded but all accessories and electrics are complete and functional all guages work and the dashboard and fascia are amazing.

I also have a decent selection of spares, these will go with the car unless anyone wants a specific part im happy to sell these individually. A good set of doors in primer with a bit of rust, a new good bonnet, great boot a japanese air-con compressor and fabricated bracket for the nord engine. Also a solid looking cylender head.

Photo's: Here are some, im happy to get more on request.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi mate, sorry to hear about your car being written off.

Anyway, i was wandering if you were willing to sell the speedo cable? Its the cable that goes from the back of the speedo and into the gearbox.

#6 ·
I agree with alfettaparts here.

If the car is as good as you say it is and the damage is as it appears to be in the photos provided, I would rebuild it. Sourcing second hand bootlid, rear valance, taillight and correct bumper wouldn't be too expensive. I guess the question mark would be the boot floor, but you should be able to pull that out with too much of a problem.

If you love the car, and given the time and money you've spent on it I suspect that you do, then its worth repairing.

It is unlikely that you will find another Alfetta sedan in similar condition to replace it - there aren't many left...

And yes, I once owned an Alfetta 1.8 sedan, best road Alfa I've ever owned. I spent $$$ on it ridding the little rust it had and the subsequent owner (he bought if off me in 1998 - I was the second owner) finally treated it to a respray last year.

#5 ·
If you are going to part this (certainly seems to be a fair bit of interest in parts) I'm interested in door cards, the ventilation fan/motor/controls assy, back seat, carpet if its been replaced/good (it looks like it might be). Would also be interested in any good rubber door seals (most likely also only good if they have been replaced already). Also, if your half shafts/axles are the early ones that have a "spacer" between the brake rotors and the inner CV (ie an arrangement like this:

Code:
    |
|=| |
    |
Where the |=| bit is an assembly with a flange each end

I'm interested in the whole axle/CV/ + spacer assy from brake rotor to hub.

If I was in Melb I'd happily take the whole car but moving it up here is prohibitively expensive... Done the sums on that one before....

Hendo - we should do a deal on freight....

#7 ·
Hi everyone, My 1978 Alfetta sedan was rear-ended and written off by the insurer. It is an extremely original car and i bought the wreck back off them to prevent it being scrapped. The wreck cost me $650 and i would really like to see $1000 to $1100 returned, many of the parts on it are nearly-new i have only done 6000km's on it and i am the second owner it has 97,000km's total. No rust anywhere now, there was a spot in the front pillar RHS but i eradicated it when i bought the car. Anyway here is an assesment of what is valuable on the vehicle i would like to sell it as a whole vehicle, but if i cant meet my fiscal target i will have to take the time and part it out.

Body:
  • 4 totally rust-free doors
  • good bonnet, quite a few stone chips an a wiered stain in the paint.
  • brand new front windscreen (w/antenna inbuilt,)
  • Great front lights all trim present and correct, great front guards.

Drivetrain:
  • Very solid original engine with new water pump and reco radiator
  • after-market extractors are the only modification with a 2 inch exhaust back.
  • Good guibos no vibration in the driveshaft.
  • Great gearbox, all syncro's are excellent i reconditioned the extire shift linkage and clutch system so everything is nice and smooth.
  • Brand new front break rotors and pads, new rubbers throughout the front and back suspension.
  • Good but not new shock absorbers on the back.

Interior:
- Is Tan velour, and in immaculate condition not a rip stain or scratch anywhere, the door cards are a bit faded but all accessories and electrics are complete and functional all guages work and the dashboard and fascia are amazing.

I also have a decent selection of spares, these will go with the car unless anyone wants a specific part im happy to sell these individually. A good set of doors in primer with a bit of rust, a new good bonnet, great boot a japanese air-con compressor and fabricated bracket for the nord engine. Also a solid looking cylender head.

Photo's: Here are some, im happy to get more on request.

#9 ·
To be clear, it's not a statutory write-off, surely? Doesn't look that bad. If it's only an insurance write-off, you could find yourself back in your much-loved car for little outlay. Parting it out seems a bit of a shame for slight damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.