Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the oil and Coolant. I was about to bleed the cooling system with the thermostat bleed bolt off. I added water to the radiator and water ran out of the bleederscrew as it should. Unfortunately it ran down the distributor wires. argh. I dried out the distributor, but now the car won't start. I didn't get any water on the coil, just the distributor.Is there any special way to put the distributor cap back on? I just clipped the 2 spring clips on either side. Obviously, I'm not very experienced, but wanting to train myself to get better and keep another Alfetta beauty on the roads. When I get it going, I'll be doing the front bushes. Any help would be welcomed.

·
Registered
197 Posts
usually the distributor is pretty well sealed from water, or no car would work well in the rain. it IS possible that you put the distributor on 180 degrees off. its also possible that your timing order might be incorrect. on the distributor, the firing order is 1-3-4-2.

is your alfetta Spica Injected or carbureted?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem solved. Car roared into life on first turn of the key. I rewired a couple of the wires going into the coil. One had broken completely off. A ground wire that goes to the bottom of the distributor, that I must have pulled off ( last couple of strands) inadvertently when I took the distributor off to dry. Anyway, she's all go. Thanks for your help. I now have learnt a couple of new skills. I now want to confirm that the radiator fan is coming on. To test it: Run the car til temp reaches 90degrees, at which point the thermostat should tell the fan to come on. I guess I should test the fan first with a multimeter? Any suggestions would be helpful. Also. Should I remove the thermostat and put it in boiling water to see if opens. Is this correct? Thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
The first test is to unplug the two wires that connects to the thermo switch in the lower left corner of the radiator. When you connect them the fan should start. If that works you know that the wiring for the fan is intact. Next its time to let the engine warm up to 90+ degrees celsius. The fan should then start but it can take a few degrees past before it does so.

(The thermostat only opens, it does not connect to the cars electrics in any way but I´m guessing you ment the thermo switch in your post)

·
Registered
156 Posts
You should be able to see if the thermostat works when the car first hits 90 deg c but before the fan turns on. You should see a temperature drop of a few degrees when the thermostat opens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts